Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Best bottles?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:44 PM
  • 24 Replies
I really want to avoid nipple confusion, but I will need to pump and give a bottle when I need to leave baby with his daddy. Is there a certain bottle that is best?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
victoriangavin
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:36 PM
I use the nuk air flow bottles with the removable handles... They are actually for sippy cup training so I got the nipples separate. It's all u need till the actual sippy cup :) my son eats funny and this is the only bottle he has not managed to get air with.. Nipple confusion can also go the other way. It's best to introduce bottles at 4 weeks to get the baby use to bottles. Let hubby feed the baby while u take time to do something else.. From experience it's awful to have a baby fight the bottle.. My son is now 4 months and takes bottles during the day and nurses at night and does both very well... Good luck! Hope it goes well
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:14 PM

You want ones that have a low flow rate to avoid baby developing a flow preference. The fact is, despite some pretty convincing marketing claims, there is not one like the breast or that can avoid all chances of nipple confusion or flow preference.

The Playtex Natrulatch always scores high among lactation consultants for good size and shape and low flow. Dr. browns wide based nipple scores high as well.

Nuk: bad shape (encourages incorrect sucking)

Medela Calma: really fast flow, not good!

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:25 AM
This.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

You want ones that have a low flow rate to avoid baby developing a flow preference. The fact is, despite some pretty convincing marketing claims, there is not one like the breast or that can avoid all chances of nipple confusion or flow preference.

The Playtex Natrulatch always scores high among lactation consultants for good size and shape and low flow. Dr. browns wide based nipple scores high as well.

Nuk: bad shape (encourages incorrect sucking)

Medela Calma: really fast flow, not good!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stargaze281
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:53 AM

i liked playtex drop in bottles

mamalusbear
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:54 AM

The lactation consultant I saw reccomended the Breast Flow bottles to avoid nipple confusion.

ms.momo3
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Tommee tippee. They are the closest to nipple that i have ever found and doesnt cause confusion.
shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:47 AM
Any bottle baby will take. The trick is to only introduce the bottle if truly needed. No need to introduce bottle at any age and get baby used to it. My DS2, whose 9 weeks now, took a bottle fine before I went back to work. The day I went back he decided he didn't want them anymore. DD never had a bottle before I went back to work and she took whatever was given. Nipple and flow preference are really dependent in the babies personality.

Quoting victoriangavin:

I use the nuk air flow bottles with the removable handles... They are actually for sippy cup training so I got the nipples separate. It's all u need till the actual sippy cup :) my son eats funny and this is the only bottle he has not managed to get air with.. Nipple confusion can also go the other way. It's best to introduce bottles at 4 weeks to get the baby use to bottles. Let hubby feed the baby while u take time to do something else.. From experience it's awful to have a baby fight the bottle.. My son is now 4 months and takes bottles during the day and nurses at night and does both very well... Good luck! Hope it goes well
nermall1102
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:59 AM

Quoting victoriangavin:

kathislove80
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:21 AM
DS tried Tommee Tippee, Avent and Nuk. He wouldn't take any. Finally, after a lot of coaxing from my mom, he took Dr Browns. That's the only one that worked for us!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rlambert6002
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Honestly, there is no ONE bottle/nipple, time of intro, etc. that is correct.....it varies from baby to baby unfortunately though some things do seem to be more common with more babies. You don't only have to worry about nipple confucion, sometimes you have nipple refusal. I have had varying experiences over the course of 9 kids. I had one ds adamantly refuse a bottle at 4-6 weeks and another refuse it when first offered at 9 months. With my next to last dd we tried at least 6 different varieties before we could find one. My youngest dd (5 mths) takes Dr. Brown's (narrow) or Coddle Life (wide). I prefer the Coddle Life because the flow is slower but she could care less. But, in all of that I never had one that got nipple confusion and refused the breast. Lucky, I guess. Anyways, since some babies can be confused it probably is best to get a slow flow nipple that is more like the breast. Hence, not an orthodontic and not narrow. I've heard and read conflicting info on the Breast Flow bottles...not just with how baby did but with the whole set up of the nipple. Apparently alot of women have had problems with the milk somehow seeping into the "air chamber" between the nipples? I read some reviews in which they said they lost 2-3 oz...something you def don't want with your precious breast milk!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)