Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I am really worried that I will have to start supplementing my little guy with formula while I am away. I work full time, 12hr nights on L and D. So, I am gone all night from him and all day while he is with my parents during the day so I can sleep. I was doing ok but then DH decided to blow through almost all my milk one night because he was fussy. (he's teething) I, of course, yelled at him for this and told him if it seemed to early for him to be hungry to see if it was teeth bugging him and he should have tried teething tablets first. That has now put me behind in my fridge stash and I don't know how to recover. I pump 4 times at work, every 3 hrs, before I go to work, and then when I come home and wake up again around noon to pump and then feed him when he gets here at 2:30.

My question is, how can I build my fridge stash back up? I really, really, really, REALLY don't want to give formula but will have to if I run out. I feed him just fine when we are together. He is almost 5 months, we co-sleep, he is not on solids, and hasn't had a lick of formula. I am already taking blessed thistle, fenugreek, and taking my tea. I get about 12-16 ozs (depending on AF) at work, 3-5 before I leave for work, and another 4-6 when he is gone while I sleep.

Thank you ladies in advance, I hate formula with a passion and don't want to have to supplement. I have been beating myself up over this and my DH just doesn't see the big deal.

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:13 AM
Replies (11-17):
Rayawni
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Once I use all of mine up I probably will go to that. It pretty pricey but I know, cheaper than crap in a can.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

How much is he taking and how much are you able to pump?

Do you massage and compress while pumping? Hand express after pumping?

Forget the fenugreek, take more milk plus or more milk special blend, works WAY better

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Rayawni
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:04 PM
I may if it comes down to that.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Any way you could sleep at your parents so they can bring him in to you to nurse? If not you've got to wake every 2-3hrs to pump
Rayawni
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Forgot to add, all of his bottles hold anywhere from 3-4 oz and he usually eats 3 and I have them save the milk if he doesn't finish it for the next feed. He eats about every 3 hrs. I do compression during pumping and get anywhere from 3-5 oz total from a session. It depends on AF because my supply drops a bit when she shows up.

I'm going to start eating oatmeal again as well.

Quoting Rayawni:

Once I use all of mine up I probably will go to that. It pretty pricey but I know, cheaper than crap in a can.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

How much is he taking and how much are you able to pump?

Do you massage and compress while pumping? Hand express after pumping?

Forget the fenugreek, take more milk plus or more milk special blend, works WAY better

melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:35 AM
I worked overnights and when it was time to get sleep I just had whoever was watching them bring my nursling in. they were more likely to stretch out the feedings because they didn't want to wake me. She also napped better cause she slept with me
I hope you find something that works

Quoting Rayawni:

I may if it comes down to that.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Any way you could sleep at your parents so they can bring him in to you to nurse? If not you've got to wake every 2-3hrs to pump

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

See our resources sticky. There's a link there titled HOW TO INCREASE SUPPLY. Every trick known to woman is there. But from what you write, I don't think any of them will do anything for you because you're already pretty much at max. Baby's getting what's needed. I think you need to sleep where he does.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Darn :( i know many moms make it work without giving formula, so i hope for the best!

Quoting Rayawni:

I really wish I could but I am currently the bread winner for the family.

Quoting Precious333:

Hmmmm, could you afford to cut a day out?

Quoting Rayawni:

Unfortunately when I work two or three in a row he has to go if DH doesn't have the day off. He has to be at work by 0700 and I don't get off work until 0730. When he is home with me, DH brings him back to eat whenever he wants. He has started only sleeping in short spurts through out the day and then sleeping a lot more at night. He will eat every 2 hrs during the day and then sleep 6 hrs straight at night. That's when I'm home, he seems to wake up more when I'm gone. If I don't get any sleep there's no way I could make it at work. It's crazy busy and unpredictable, I'm lucky I get to pump as much as I do.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:52 AM
I agree with this!
The best way to ensure that you have enough milk to avoid formula is to nurse as much as possible, which means you sleep wherever your baby is.

Quoting gdiamante:

See our resources sticky. There's a link there titled HOW TO INCREASE SUPPLY. Every trick known to woman is there. But from what you write, I don't think any of them will do anything for you because you're already pretty much at max. Baby's getting what's needed. I think you need to sleep where he does.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)