Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Another question for you ladies...med related

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:23 PM
  • 12 Replies
I had the flu last week and still have this cough that won't go away. I had a c-section 3 days ago and am EBF. My stomach KILLS me whenever I cough, is there anything I can take, like an expectorant/cough suppressant that won't tranfer to the baby? The dr's at the hospital told me to ask the pharmacist and the pharmacist told my hubby to ask the dr...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I had issues coughing after dd was born and after my gallbladder was removed. I drank warm water with a little honey and lemon juice. It helped calm the cough without meds.
bebe_ju-rah
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Ohh, I'll try that!

Quoting audmom1218:

I had issues coughing after dd was born and after my gallbladder was removed. I drank warm water with a little honey and lemon juice. It helped calm the cough without meds.
lifeforchrist
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:44 PM

if you can go to a farmers market and get some raw honey, take a spoon full everytime you feel coughing fits. Its a wonderful cure. All the natural cough syrups are made of honey.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:47 PM

YEP THIS!

Quoting lifeforchrist:

if you can go to a farmers market and get some raw honey, take a spoon full everytime you feel coughing fits. Its a wonderful cure. All the natural cough syrups are made of honey.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Make sure you hold a pillow against your belly when you cough. My son had abdominal surgery and had to cough like that for a while.

"Hold a pillow over your incision when you cough or take deep breaths. This will support your belly and decrease your pain." From webmd, not my favorite source of med info, but you get it.
bebe_ju-rah
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Yeah, I've been doing that. As much as I can anyway!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Make sure you hold a pillow against your belly when you cough. My son had abdominal surgery and had to cough like that for a while.

"Hold a pillow over your incision when you cough or take deep breaths. This will support your belly and decrease your pain." From webmd, not my favorite source of med info, but you get it.
bebe_ju-rah
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:23 PM
We actually have some and I took it last night before bed. It worked a little...enough to get to sleep.

Quoting lifeforchrist:

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM

You can safely take an expectorant/cough suppressant. You just want to avoid the versions that include a decongestant, as that can lower milk supply.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:21 PM

You can take any one you want. OTC meds are safe!

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM
This. Cough suppressants are ok to take.
Were you given an abdominal binder? It was a lifesaver after my second C-section.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

You can safely take an expectorant/cough suppressant. You just want to avoid the versions that include a decongestant, as that can lower milk supply.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN