Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

5 Month Monster!

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:48 PM
  • 12 Replies
Emma is 5 months. She is now twiddling, pinching, pulling, yanking, kicking, etc. Ahh the pain. She has turned into a little nursling monster recently! She thinks its so funny when I'm caught by surprise and yelp. Not funny! I know you ladies will have advice. Please?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Start Nursing manners?

Get a nursing necklace?
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:51 PM
You don't have to allow the things that hurt you. This is where nursing manners start. Some moms have success with wearing a nursing necklace or giving the baby a toy or something to occupy the hands.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
o0laurie.love0o
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:52 PM
I do wear a nursing necklace. She isn't very interested while nursing but likes to play with it while sitting on my lap. :/

Is 5 months old enough for nursing manners? How would I go about it?
melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this
When she does something you don't like tell her no if she does it again take her off and put her down facing away from you. You can let her try again in a few minutes.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Not too early at all; caue and effect is something we understand early in life.

When she does something you don't want, stop the session, tell her no, resume. Three strikes. On the third offense, she gets put down in a safe place and you walk away for a few minutes. She will quickly learn that her doing what you don't want results in an interrupted meal and "baby time out." Most babies don't like that much and stop with the unwanted behavior.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Yep. This is what worked for me.

Quoting gdiamante:

Not too early at all; caue and effect is something we understand early in life.

When she does something you don't want, stop the session, tell her no, resume. Three strikes. On the third offense, she gets put down in a safe place and you walk away for a few minutes. She will quickly learn that her doing what you don't want results in an interrupted meal and "baby time out." Most babies don't like that much and stop with the unwanted behavior.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
o0laurie.love0o
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Thanks ladies. I'll give it a shot. Lately I've been having to put her socks on her hands while she eats. She is not a fan of that..can't say I blame her. I'm glad she isn't too young to learn manners.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Kellymom.com has an excellent article on nursing manners.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:15 PM
http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/nursing-manners-2/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
o0laurie.love0o
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting aehanrahan:

http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/nursing-manners-2/

Great read. I am going to start trying the redirection today. She isn't very into the nursing necklace but I like the ideas of helping her stroke gently or blowing on her hands.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)