Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How do you honestly feel about milk banks?

If you dont know about milk banks they are places that take donor milk and test it, treat it, package it, process it and then sell it to needy families.  Insurance covers the cost for some babies like those in NICUs.  They charge $3-8 an ounce generally.

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
First_One_8_18
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:46 PM
4 moms liked this
I would never ever donate to a bank! I donated 36 gallons over a 6 month period and i found my milkbabies through milkshare. I was able to put it directly into the moms' hands for about $10/week, not that much per feeding.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:46 PM
3 moms liked this

I guess they have their place but I will NEVER donate to one. I'd rather go through Human milk 4 human babies or eats on feets  & get the milk directly to a mom in need.

BabyFruit Ticker

ACsLady
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I honestly don't like them. I really needed milk when my first was little (lost my supply during my second pregnancy). She's 3.5 now...the only real mom-to-mom sharing network out there was Milkshare, but it wasn't very active. Later on, I helped get Eats on Feets and Human Milk for Human Babies going on FB because of my experiences.

To me, there's no equal to personal milk sharing and wet nursing. I hate that milk banks pasteurize milk and run it through all kinds of labs and such...kind of defeats the purpose of getting breastmilk when they alter it like that, you know? I'd take raw goat or cow milk over milk from a bank....and that's if I could afford the milk from the bank. I agree that charging for it, especially as much as they do, is ridiculous.

I know a lot of women are especially grateful for the help when babies are in the NICU, but even that bugs me. I think it's stupid that a mom has to fight tooth and nail half the time to be "allowed" to pump her own milk for her baby, but treated milk from someone else is more acceptable. Makes no sense.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I have personally donated about 2500oz to 3 different moms, 2 of which adopted babies.  I found them on milkshare.  The last mom has IGT and only needed a small amount to tide her over til her fulltime donors milk arrived.

I wont donate to a bank unless I used milk from a bank because my baby was in the ICU.  I have a friend whose baby is in the NICU and shes making more than she needs so shes donating...i would do it then.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:58 PM
2 moms liked this
I hate how much they charge per ounce and the processing that the milk goes through.
If I pumped and donated, I would probably donate directly to a mother, but I'm conflicted. As someone who was a preemie and spent months in the NICU, I understand how important donor milk could be to those babies. I just wonder if direct donated milk would be better since it hasn't been processed and had so much of it killed off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Eliots_momma
by Jessica on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I never donate to milk banks. I would rather GIVE my milk to someone in need.

melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:10 PM

neutral

see the need for preemies, ridiculous for older babies.

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I honestly can't stand them. I would never ever donate to one(if I could pump which I can't lol). I don't like that they charge so much or that they treat it.  I would never donate to a milk bank and I would never get milk from a milk bank. 

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:50 PM
I'd rather go to human milk for human babies. And i can't believe that wic ibclc told you that!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

They pasteurize it, kinda like cows milk....basically heating it to kill bacteria, but it also kills some of the good stuff in it.  They also check the calories in it and mix the different donors milks to get a set amounts of calories.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

I think it would be great if WIC covered it. But $3-8 an ounce.... that's a lot of money! And what do you mean they "treat it"... with what and how??

victoriangavin
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this
This one supplies hospitals here, for the nicu. And personally I could never supply my child with milk from a stranger without knowing what's in it. The blood test you take to become a donor is to protect those babies and if I had to buy breastmilk I would put my childs safety above all else. Too many people that have disease don't know they have them and I couldn't risk my son getting anything

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

ALL milk banks sell it, they say not for profit but they all charge...

Quoting victoriangavin:

I'm getting set up to donate but the one I'm donating to doesn't sell it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)