Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How do you honestly feel about milk banks?

If you dont know about milk banks they are places that take donor milk and test it, treat it, package it, process it and then sell it to needy families.  Insurance covers the cost for some babies like those in NICUs.  They charge $3-8 an ounce generally.

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Replies (21-30):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Yeah they still charge, its just through insurance, but if its a legit bank they charge.

The same blood tests can be asked for when doing informal milk sharing...I showed the moms I donated to all my prepregnancy tests(though they didnt ask for it).  Informal milkshare can be done safely too..just saying

If you had to pay for breastmilk it would be a minimum of $90 a DAY...up to about $240 a day...insurances generaly wont cover it once baby is out of the NICU

Quoting victoriangavin:

This one supplies hospitals here, for the nicu. And personally I could never supply my child with milk from a stranger without knowing what's in it. The blood test you take to become a donor is to protect those babies and if I had to buy breastmilk I would put my childs safety above all else. Too many people that have disease don't know they have them and I couldn't risk my son getting anything

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

ALL milk banks sell it, they say not for profit but they all charge...

Quoting victoriangavin:

I'm getting set up to donate but the one I'm donating to doesn't sell it

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:09 PM
The hospitals and insurance companies have to pay for the milk from the bank. They don't get it for free.
Many moms who get donor milk ask for blood work to be sure that the milk is safe.

Quoting victoriangavin:

This one supplies hospitals here, for the nicu. And personally I could never supply my child with milk from a stranger without knowing what's in it. The blood test you take to become a donor is to protect those babies and if I had to buy breastmilk I would put my childs safety above all else. Too many people that have disease don't know they have them and I couldn't risk my son getting anything

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting victoriangavin:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
victoriangavin
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:36 PM
But you honestly don't know what is in that milk because you didn't produce it. You don't know if the mom popped 3 asprin and then pumped giving your helpless baby a blood thinner. Or if that mom took Benadryl for their allergies and your baby gets knocked out for hours because of it. Yes I know this is what will happen thanks to Benadryl because I accidentally did it to my son because every doctor said it was ok to take. I wouldn't risk my childs health. This is my opinion and I'm happy to donate.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Yeah they still charge, its just through insurance, but if its a legit bank they charge.

The same blood tests can be asked for when doing informal milk sharing...I showed the moms I donated to all my prepregnancy tests(though they didnt ask for it).  Informal milkshare can be done safely too..just saying

If you had to pay for breastmilk it would be a minimum of $90 a DAY...up to about $240 a day...insurances generaly wont cover it once baby is out of the NICU

Quoting victoriangavin:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting victoriangavin:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tlbmrf
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:42 PM

I have a family member and her partner that donate milk to my daughter because I can not pump enough for her and she has trouble latching onto me we are working on that but I can't seem to get her to do it. Well anyway I know a lot of people that think it is awfull that I am using someone elses milk for her. I tell them I would rather have her get the nutriants from the breas milk instead of all the formula she would be getting otherwise. I don't tell her DR and I know that the milk was tested because my cousins partner had to be tested when they were in the hospital because they were giving it to their daughter.

JaxMomma78
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:38 PM

holy CR*P 36 gallons!!!???   wow!  i cant even make enough for 36 ounces!

Quoting First_One_8_18:

I would never ever donate to a bank! I donated 36 gallons over a 6 month period and i found my milkbabies through milkshare. I was able to put it directly into the moms' hands for about $10/week, not that much per feeding.

First_One_8_18
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this
When i donated, i gave the moms a copy of my blood work medically clearing me of all communicable diseases that can be spread through fluids.
Eta, i also developed a long term friendship with both of my moms i donated to. I let them know up front that i wanted a working relationship. I kept logs of every medication i took, how much i pumped and when, and what foods i ate that might make them gassy or give then upset tummies. I spent a lot of time and love pumping for their babies to be able to have the same start as my own daughter.

Quoting victoriangavin:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting victoriangavin:

lorsmommy08
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't like it. Mostly because they pasteurize it so much and charge for it. I agree with making sure donors are safe but I think pasteurizing it is going too far and if they're charging that much for it the mom might as well just ff
First_One_8_18
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Lol yea, over about 6 months. I worked very hard at building an over supply immediately. I would pump about 20 oz first thing on the morning, then nurse my daughter. I started out pumping after every single time i fed her, then, eventually i got it down to 3x a day.

Quoting JaxMomma78:

holy CR*P 36 gallons!!!???   wow!  i cant even make enough for 36 ounces!

Quoting First_One_8_18:

I would never ever donate to a bank! I donated 36 gallons over a 6 month period and i found my milkbabies through milkshare. I was able to put it directly into the moms' hands for about $10/week, not that much per feeding.

vinalex0581
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:54 PM

i don't know if i would trust someone else's milk going into my sons body.

they may test it and treat it but how do they treat it?

with chemicals?

and they may try to make it safe but people aren't perfect and accidents happen.

i don't know what kind of moms donate milk but if it's a mom who's constantly doing drugs and drinking hard liquor then my baby isn't going to get her milk.

yes, i admit, i have no idea how the process works but you asked for opinions and i'm giving you mine.

victoriangavin
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:00 PM
But not everyone does what you did or cares like that. If i had someone i trusted then it wouldn't bother me but i don't even have support for breastfeeding here, just my mom who is 4 hours away so i'm doing my best with what i can

Quoting First_One_8_18:

When i donated, i gave the moms a copy of my blood work medically clearing me of all communicable diseases that can be spread through fluids.

Eta, i also developed a long term friendship with both of my moms i donated to. I let them know up front that i wanted a working relationship. I kept logs of every medication i took, how much i pumped and when, and what foods i ate that might make them gassy or give then upset tummies. I spent a lot of time and love pumping for their babies to be able to have the same start as my own daughter.

Quoting victoriangavin:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting victoriangavin:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)