Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How do you honestly feel about milk banks?

If you dont know about milk banks they are places that take donor milk and test it, treat it, package it, process it and then sell it to needy families.  Insurance covers the cost for some babies like those in NICUs.  They charge $3-8 an ounce generally.

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Replies (41-49):
jendigme
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:42 PM
How do I sign up to donate on there? I went to it and didn't see a place. And so u charge them or how does it work?

Quoting First_One_8_18:

I would never ever donate to a bank! I donated 36 gallons over a 6 month period and i found my milkbabies through milkshare. I was able to put it directly into the moms' hands for about $10/week, not that much per feeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:55 PM

heres milkshare...register and then you can respond to posts or post your own

http://milkshare.forumotion.com/

theres also eats on feets and human milk 4 human babies on fb

Quoting jendigme:

How do I sign up to donate on there? I went to it and didn't see a place. And so u charge them or how does it work?

Quoting First_One_8_18:

I would never ever donate to a bank! I donated 36 gallons over a 6 month period and i found my milkbabies through milkshare. I was able to put it directly into the moms' hands for about $10/week, not that much per feeding.

staciexo
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I would feel better getting milk from a milk bank than mom to mom. Who knows what meds the mom is on or other things she has done that might make her milk dangerous. Or if the milk wasnt frozen right away, not kept in good conditions. i know its not that likely but I would rather be safe than sorry. I dont find it very easy to trust people these days. 

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Yes everyone is tested during pregnancy. But what about activity after the testing and after birth? Do people not worry about behavior that would put these people at risk for things like hepatitis and HIV? I am not one to ever tell someone not to use donor milk. I do not think you are wrong for using it. These are just some thoughts I've always had that would likely keep me from doing this if I ever had to. People can have these diseases and not know it, thus feeding their own baby and donating. What are your thoughts on this? I am not insulting you at all. In fact, I have kept up with your story on here and greatly admire you and all you have done for your baby. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the concerns I have mentioned.

Quoting LucyHourglass:

haha i better not tell wic that im using donor milk then.... everyone acts like its sharing needles or something. everyone gets tested when they are pregnant so that makes matters a lot easier. people wouldnt breastfeed their own babies if they had a disease. and definitely wouldnt offer to donate it i would think..

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Sadly WIC here discourages milk sharing, they found out I was donating milk and their IBCLC came and told me how dangerous it was, how much I was risking, and said I was lucky I didnt have a WIC pump because she would demand it back.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

I just don't like that they charge people for it, especially where there are things like WIC for example that pass out cases of formula at the drop of a hat. Donor milk should be just as available as formula, in my opinion. ;)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LucyHourglass
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:26 PM

most moms dont have time to engage  in risky behaviors lol, i am friends with all the women ive recieved milk from on fb and see them post about their daily lives, and i really am not worried about it, plus studies have come out saying most diseases arent transferable through milk, i dont live in an area with a high population of HIV, and my son will not take formula plus he has allergies.

i am pumping and trying to supplement with my own milk and hopefully wont need any donor milk soon. my pump output has been steadily increasing but still not nearky tthe amount i need to supplement him with. i just strongly feel the benefits outweight the risks. I am strongly intuned with my intuition and if i had a funny feeling about taking someones milk, i wouldnt. my son is pretty picky about what milk he takes anyways and will only take it from a small handfull of people i know.

but yeah as i said, the risky behaviors that put people at risk of things like HIV isnt common amongst new moms lol, we are  generally too tired to be out partying and sleeping around. lol

Quoting stepconfused182:

Yes everyone is tested during pregnancy. But what about activity after the testing and after birth? Do people not worry about behavior that would put these people at risk for things like hepatitis and HIV? I am not one to ever tell someone not to use donor milk. I do not think you are wrong for using it. These are just some thoughts I've always had that would likely keep me from doing this if I ever had to. People can have these diseases and not know it, thus feeding their own baby and donating. What are your thoughts on this? I am not insulting you at all. In fact, I have kept up with your story on here and greatly admire you and all you have done for your baby. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the concerns I have mentioned.

Quoting LucyHourglass:

haha i better not tell wic that im using donor milk then.... everyone acts like its sharing needles or something. everyone gets tested when they are pregnant so that makes matters a lot easier. people wouldnt breastfeed their own babies if they had a disease. and definitely wouldnt offer to donate it i would think..

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Sadly WIC here discourages milk sharing, they found out I was donating milk and their IBCLC came and told me how dangerous it was, how much I was risking, and said I was lucky I didnt have a WIC pump because she would demand it back.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

I just don't like that they charge people for it, especially where there are things like WIC for example that pass out cases of formula at the drop of a hat. Donor milk should be just as available as formula, in my opinion. ;)

____________________________________________________________________________________

Non-vaccinating, breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, anti-CIO,  crunchy momma of one happy little baby boy. :)

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:44 PM
I just feel like that's being incredibly naive. While I was absolutely one of the too tired and busy new mamas you described, I know several who are not. My stepsons birth mom being the one who stands out the most in my mind. But I do think that most people who engage in this behavior probably don't breastfeed in the first place. I respect your opinion. I'm a bit over paranoid about what goes in my childs mouth and know some of my thoughts are kind of overboard :)

Quoting LucyHourglass:

most moms dont have time to engage  in risky behaviors lol, i am friends with all the women ive recieved milk from on fb and see them post about their daily lives, and i really am not worried about it, plus studies have come out saying most diseases arent transferable through milk, i dont live in an area with a high population of HIV, and my son will not take formula plus he has allergies.

i am pumping and trying to supplement with my own milk and hopefully wont need any donor milk soon. my pump output has been steadily increasing but still not nearky tthe amount i need to supplement him with. i just strongly feel the benefits outweight the risks. I am strongly intuned with my intuition and if i had a funny feeling about taking someones milk, i wouldnt. my son is pretty picky about what milk he takes anyways and will only take it from a small handfull of people i know.

but yeah as i said, the risky behaviors that put people at risk of things like HIV isnt common amongst new moms lol, we are  generally too tired to be out partying and sleeping around. lol

Quoting stepconfused182:

Quoting LucyHourglass:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

First_One_8_18
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:02 PM
I think i searched the posts to see if there were any moms in need in my area first. Then, i made a post explaining that i wanted an ongoing relationship with my milk babies families. I'm mobile, so i can't walk you through the registration process on that site. Don't feel badly if you don't feel comfortable with the first couple of people you find! If you're alright with a one time donation, it will be easy to find a recipient. it took me a few times to find families i was comfortable with. To me, it's a labor of love, but to some women on there, it's just cheaper than formula and they don't see it as that. I felt like a few of them were just trying to use me.
Once you find someone, they are either supposed to buy you bags, or if it's a one time donation, supposed to reimburse you for the money you have spent on them. That's something you can agree upon with your milk family. Some will offer you a pump, done just bags, or like mine did, bags and chocolate lol

Quoting jendigme:

Quoting First_One_8_18:

ckroch
by Colleen on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:07 PM
I've donated to a milk bank- but also to a private person. I prefered the private person, but then I got preggo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:13 PM
2 moms liked this
For those of you that think untreated milk is bad, what about blood transfusions? I have no problem with these banks testing milk like donated blood, but why treat it and degrade it so much? Donated blood (which goes into you with NO filter, unlike milk which at least gets filtered through the GI tract) goes through WAY less processing! Probably costs less per ounce, too!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)