Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breast pumps

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:54 PM
  • 25 Replies
I have a medela double electric breast pump for home and want to get one to keep in my vehicle for when I go to my moms or wherever so I don't need to pack anything. I was looking on amazon and first years breastflow or ameda double electric seem pretty decent price. does anyone know anything about them? Some reviews said the ameda made a beeping noise while pumping? lashion (spelling?) had a fairly inexpensive one too.. Any advice?
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:13 PM
3 moms liked this
Ameda and Lansinoh are basically the same thing and are good. I wouldn't go near anything other than Hygeia or ameda when it comes to electric pumps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:23 PM

are you eping, and why do you need a spare??  sorry, just totally curious.  I agree with Amy.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

The first years gets a definite NO. Bad reputation, not a good quality pump.

The Ameda Purely Yours and the Lansinoh one are the same pump with different labels/packaging. That is a good quality pump with an excellent reputation.

thedathree
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Quoting SewingMamaLele:

are you eping, and why do you need a spare??  sorry, just totally curious.  I agree with Amy.

I had really bad thrush and my baby did too. about 3 weeks old she couldn't nurse at all her mouth was so sore. dr said to pump then when she healed up to nurse again. she is still healing (had a blister type sore on tongue) but just started nursing maybe 5 times a day about 2 weeks ago. She will be 2 months on the 29th. I am trying to still pump every 2 hours during the day. She still seems hungry after nursing crys and screams so I give her expressed milk and she is fine. Do you think if I stop pumping she would be more satisfied when she nurses? She likes nursing but doesn't seem satisfied after. I honestly dont know how to get her back to ebf. So now I give mostly breast milk.maybe 4 oz formula in a 24 hour period. I am afraid if I go to my moms for a few hours and don't pump when I get back ill be dried up. Also my son is handicapped and with him and a newborn and 9yo I dont want to have to remember anything extra to pack. Sorry for such a lengthy answer. I have bad pp depression and want to start getting out. my baby also was tongue tied and got clipped. I am with baby all day so she can nurse but I dont know how to make her fully satisfied so will pump till I figure it out if I ever do
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:26 PM
She acts like that after nursing because she's used to the faster, easier bottles and being over fed from them.
I would slowly decrease the amount that you give and try other feeding methods rather than bottles. So she doesn't get the fast flow that she's looking for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:56 PM

How big are the bottles she's getting?   I agree it's a flow preference.

thedathree
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:08 AM
Quoting SewingMamaLele:

How big are the bottles she's getting?   I agree it's a flow preference.

2-4 oz depending on how long she went without eating. she was losing weight and dr wanted her to gain.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:12 AM
Stay far away from the First Years pump! Ameda, Hygeia, and Lansinoh are the only one's I'd consider.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stargaze281
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:23 AM

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Stay far away from the First Years pump! Ameda, Hygeia, and Lansinoh are the only one's I'd consider.

Just curious, what's bad about the first years breast pump?

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:32 AM
They tend to break after only a short period if time and the motor burns out quickly. And they also are known the cause damage to the breast. I got one as a baby shower gift (I registered for it, knowing nothing about breast pumps lol). I only used it a handful of times and by the time my dd was 6 months old, it was trashed.
If you want something not too expensive, Avent manual pumps work great too. :)

Quoting stargaze281:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Just curious, what's bad about the first years breast pump?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)