Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I don't know what to do

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:42 PM
  • 7 Replies
Joshua is 7 weeks old. I think I know what the issue is but I'm not sure. Right now he's beyond exhausted and I noticed him getting this way the last couple nights. I'm thinking of getting him on a sleep schedule, including his naps to see if this helps him. I've never done this though. I don't know how many or how long if naps he should take. Right now they're pretty sporadic. I don't know if this will help him with sleeping at night. All I know is he is way over tired right now. We have a bedtime routine. Every night around 8, he gets a bath, story and nursing. We use the lavender bath and lotion and that will usually knock him out unless he is over tired like tonight. He still isn't asleep and we started his routine around 8:30 tonight. I don't know what to do at this point. My poor little guy is so tired. :-(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
BennyBaby09
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Try starting your routine earlier. When my guys were little we would start about 630-7 and they were out by 730. At that age we didn't do a nap schedule per say but generally every 2-3 hours they were napping.
corkysunshine
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I do the same thing :)

Quoting BennyBaby09:

Try starting your routine earlier. When my guys were little we would start about 630-7 and they were out by 730. At that age we didn't do a nap schedule per say but generally every 2-3 hours they were napping.
Starshine-bela
by Leah on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. We need to do something. Hate seeing him so tired. He finally dozed off for a bit, but then woke up looking to nurse. He's comfort nursing right now, hopjng he actually sleeps soon.
BennyBaby09
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM
With my first it was the same way. It wasn't until I started putting him down earlier that his sleep started to regulate. He was just so overstimulated by that point at night it was almost impossible to get him to go to bed. When we started the earlier bed time, he was like a whole new baby. I do have to add that it was round then that we also started co-sleeping so that may have also had something to do with it. Best of luck and hope you and your little one get some sleep :)
corkysunshine
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Honestly she put herself on that schedule she wakes up at 630-7 eats plays until 9ish takes a nap till 10ish eats plays until around 1230 naps till 2 30eats plays till 5 naps wakes up at 6 ish eats then play bath massage jammies read and bed time she crashes around 830

Hope that helps someone told be the 3hr rule eat play for 2 hrs then nap a hr

Quoting Starshine-bela:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. We need to do something. Hate seeing him so tired. He finally dozed off for a bit, but then woke up looking to nurse. He's comfort nursing right now, hopjng he actually sleeps soon.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:33 AM
It is really hard to force a sleep schedule on a baby, especially this young. A seven week old should not be sleeping all night. His stomach is tiny and your milk digests very quickly. Frequent waking is also his natural defense against SIDS. I just followed the baby's cues. I nursed on demand and he always fell asleep nursing, especially that young.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Starshine-bela
by Leah on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Don't worry, I'm not trying to get him to sleep through the night. Just to not be so over tired like he is at the end of the day. He was awake for several hours straight and it was just too long.

Quoting aehanrahan:

It is really hard to force a sleep schedule on a baby, especially this young. A seven week old should not be sleeping all night. His stomach is tiny and your milk digests very quickly. Frequent waking is also his natural defense against SIDS. I just followed the baby's cues. I nursed on demand and he always fell asleep nursing, especially that young.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN