Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

help please

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:18 AM
  • 42 Replies

I need to know if pumping 3 oz is good or not also are there anyways for me to be able to produce more milk...my son's doc wanted me to try to pump some to see how much i am producing...she said he should be eatting 4-5 oz but i really think that he is at 6oz since i can nurse him and he will still need a 3 oz bottle

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BennyBaby09
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:23 AM
1 mom liked this
How old is your son? Also the amount you can pump is not an adequate indicator of hat you are actually producing. Lots of moms can't pump at all and are still able to successfully breast feed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:25 AM

3oz is above average output... and pumping won't tell you how much you're producing.   how old is baby and why are you supplementing?   3oz is a full feed for a breastfed baby.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:43 AM
2 moms liked this
Don't listen to your doctor! You can't tell how much milk you're making by pumping. It will only tell you how much you CAN pump. Average pump output is 1/2-2 ounces between both breasts.
Breastfed babies intake doesn't increase because the milk changes to meet the growing nutritional needs. Formula amounts HAVE to increase because it is always the same. Doctors are NOT trained in lactation and nutrition. Most of what they learn is from formula companies.
Giving 3 ounces after nursing is overfeeding. He will take it because it flows so fast he has to drink or drown.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaydenmommy10
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:00 AM

he is 3 months and the reason why they want me to supplement is because he has gone from the 90% to 30% in weight and height so that means he isnt growing and that isnt good...but i am happy to hear that i am pumping more then average...makes me feel better...that was 1 1/2 from each breast..

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:04 AM
Percentiles are meaningless. What are the actual weights? If he has gained at least 3 pounds from his expected lowest weight (10-12%), then he's fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaydenmommy10
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:05 AM

he hadnt gained any in a month

kaydenmommy10
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:06 AM

not a month I mean a week...he  went from 14lbs to 13.7 lbs

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:08 AM
What are the actual weights? Total gain is what matters, not necessarily month to month.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:10 AM
Has he been checked for a lip and/or tongue tie that could affect his ability to get milk at the breast?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaydenmommy10
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:10 AM

I just told you...14lbs on week and 13.7 lbs the next week

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN