Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I need to know if pumping 3 oz is good or not also are there anyways for me to be able to produce more milk...my son's doc wanted me to try to pump some to see how much i am producing...she said he should be eatting 4-5 oz but i really think that he is at 6oz since i can nurse him and he will still need a 3 oz bottle

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Replies (21-30):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:29 AM
An average of a pound a month is what should be expected for a breastfed baby. He's gained 5 pounds in 3 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Weight is great. I don't see anything here to worry about. Fire the doctor, obviously he/she knows nothing about breastfeeding...oh that's right they don't get any training in breastfeeding so of course they don't lol. 

MrsNiko88
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:58 AM
My dd is the same age as your son. She weighs 14.2 and is in the 70% for weight. Not sure why your dr is upset at weight?? It sounds normal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fortressmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Bad advice!!!  A pump will not empty you like baby.  Why give a bottle after nursing?  If he's still hungry, put him back on the first breast.

Paradys
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes, time for a new pedi! Stop pumping, stop worrying, and start feeding correctly.
Put baby to breast, nurse till baby pops off on his own, burp then offer other breast, if he takes it nurse till he pops off again, and repeat as needed!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaydenmommy10
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:22 AM

well this morning i nursed him and he got completely full...the reason he was hospitalized for a day is because he is wheezing really bad so i took him to the hospital and his oxygen levels would go below 90 when he was sleeping...even the hospital was worried they brought in a laction nurse and diatery nurse

Paradys
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Ok, I get being worried about wheezing. But what does that have to do with nursing and diet?
Is he feeling better?

Quoting kaydenmommy10:

well this morning i nursed him and he got completely full...the reason he was hospitalized for a day is because he is wheezing really bad so i took him to the hospital and his oxygen levels would go below 90 when he was sleeping...even the hospital was worried they brought in a laction nurse and diatery nurse

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Not feeling well and the wheezing could easily explain the weight loss.

Quoting kaydenmommy10:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this
This! Holy cow! I'm glad for the sake of your back his gain slowed! I don't think your supply is an issue. I think the loss was from the illness, not your supply! Find a new doc or invest in earplugs for his bfing advice!!

Quoting aehanrahan:

Not feeling well and the wheezing could easily explain the weight loss.

Quoting kaydenmommy10:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gumeshoe
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

My son was 3months on the 16th. He was born 9lb 7oz Csection, lost down to 8lb 6oz. On Wednesday he was 13 lb 2 oz. So my baby is the same age as yours, weighed more at birth and weighs less than your baby. Dr not concerned in the slightest. He pees 10 to 12 times a day. So worries.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN