Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I need to know if pumping 3 oz is good or not also are there anyways for me to be able to produce more milk...my son's doc wanted me to try to pump some to see how much i am producing...she said he should be eatting 4-5 oz but i really think that he is at 6oz since i can nurse him and he will still need a 3 oz bottle

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Replies (31-40):
Colleen86
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:42 PM

just let him feed sraight from your nipple. he will stop when he is full.

melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Expected weight gain for a bf baby is an average of one pound a month from the lowest(not birth) weight. I would expect him to weigh about 11.5lbs. Hes well above expected gain!!!!!
Giving him 3oz after a full nursing session and, your going to end up full time formula feeding in no time.
3 months is a growth spurt. Best way to handle it is to nurse on demand, that means clocks don't matter. 5 minutes or 5 hours later feed him.
Pumping output means nothing. Some women can't pump a drop but can bf twins without any supplementing. Bf babies do not increase their intake volume they increase the nutritional make up of your milk during growth spurts, which is why its important not to supplement during those times.
As for supplementing how much is he getting a day?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kaydenmommy10
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:00 PM

what do you mean how much is get getting a day

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Lowest weight 8/5... he's only expected to be 11/5 right now. 

Quoting kaydenmommy10:

Oh ok...birth 9.1, 8.5, 8.10, 9.4,13.1, 14, 13.7....thats all I remember...I may not even have all of those right

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:32 PM

If you are supplementing, how many bottles, how much in each bottle. Though I too see no reason to supplement. He's much heavier than expected. Ignore the charts; they're designed for formula babies.

Quoting kaydenmommy10:

what do you mean how much is get getting a day

PinkButterfly66
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Did your baby get sick?  My daughter would loose weight when she got sick because she would loose her appetite.

Quoting kaydenmommy10:

yeah they were on the same scale at the hospital...and yes lbs and ozs

kaydenmommy10
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Yeah he had thrush for the whole month of December...he finally got over it this month...then at the beginning of this month he and his brother both had a virus...then this week he has been wheezing 

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Did your baby get sick?  My daughter would loose weight when she got sick because she would loose her appetite.

Quoting kaydenmommy10:

PinkButterfly66
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Ok, then I'll bet that he wasn't eating as well then.  Did you tell the doctor?

Quoting kaydenmommy10:

Yeah he had thrush for the whole month of December...he finally got over it this month...then at the beginning of this month he and his brother both had a virus...then this week he has been wheezing 

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Quoting kaydenmommy10:

kaydenmommy10
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Yeah they understand that...they just want to make sure it isnt' something else either

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Quoting kaydenmommy10:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Quoting kaydenmommy10:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:29 AM
They seem to be trying to find a reason to get you to formula feed. They have no idea about the norms for a breastfed baby.

Quoting kaydenmommy10:

Yeah they understand that...they just want to make sure it isnt' something else either

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Quoting kaydenmommy10:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Quoting kaydenmommy10:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)