Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Weaning

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:54 AM
  • 13 Replies

1st off I just want to thank all the ladies on here that hear the same concerns over and over and continue to give advice and support - This group is the only support I have had for breastfeeding

DS is nearing 1 year and still not too interested in solids, some days yes, other days not so much. 

I will have to go back to work soon, and it seems I am not longer responding to a pump. Working is not set regular hours for me and pumping while working is not an option. Also, DS is teething and wants to nurse all the time not for hunger but for comfort. I was totally fine with him using me for comfort until he started biting. Ive tried different things but it wont stop. I know he knows its wrong to do it because sometimes  I can warn him not to bite and he doesn't - but mostly its sucking one second and chomping the next. I know hes just trying to get some relief but I can't depend on meds as he is in pain alot (he has 8 teeth I think hes starting on the molars) and now I don't know if hes hungry or in pain and I dont want to refuse him the breast all the time.  

We have gone through quite a bit and Im so glad I am going to make it to a year. I hope someone can give me some advice on how to handle the biting, and if we choose to start the weaning process, do you give formula after a year? straight to cows milk? If you start limiting Bf, will he start eating regularly? 

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Many moms stop pumping while at work at a year. You can just leave solids and water while you're gone.
How do you treat the teething? Do you give him anything to gnaw on. I've heard that rubbing raw sweet onion on the gums helps numb the pain and also helps the teeth break through.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Well I've personally never had a bitter. I've nursed 4 kids and I can only think of one time that one of my twins bit me and it was because something startled her. But what I've seen the ladies on her say is when baby bites, take him off, sit him down, and walk away for a few minutes. Weaning is not guarantee to make him start eating more solids. It's normal for babies to not be interested in solids. My son turned 1 a few days ago and is not very interested in solids and I see post about it all the time. That will happen when it happens. After a year you don't need to give formula. You can give cows milk or another type of milk. If you want to wean it's best done slowly for you and baby both. Drop one feeding per week until they are all gone.  

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:15 AM
Stop the feeding any time he bites. Watch to anticipate when he's going to and take him off before he gets the chance. He can't bite while actively nursing. Some have success with pulling the baby into the breast to get him to unclench.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Kellymom.com has articles on stopping biting and nursing manners. They can be taught!
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:27 PM

See our resources sticky for the link titled WHEN BABIES ATTACK! Biting strategies are there.

Straight to cow's milk or water. No guarantee on the solids, though. Some babies will eat more, some will not.

Crystal_S
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I think With the advice on how to teach manners - it seems I will have to severly limit comfort nursing because thats when he "attacks" lol. 

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:39 AM
And at 1 you're allowed to do that! You now have more control over nursing. You can choose when where and how long. I hope he stops attacking!

Quoting Crystal_S:

I think With the advice on how to teach manners - it seems I will have to severly limit comfort nursing because thats when he "attacks" lol. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:25 AM
With my dd she tends to remember so the "attacks" only happen once every few months. I react the same way each time... (Promptly unlatch, and put her in a safe place and walk away) then she is much better behaved for a few more months. Her attacks (now 13 months) are fewer and farther between.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

And at 1 you're allowed to do that! You now have more control over nursing. You can choose when where and how long. I hope he stops attacking!

Quoting Crystal_S:

BennyBaby09
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:17 AM
You don't have to wean just because you can't pump a d are going back to work. I thought that with my first too, and weaned at 8 months :( with my youngest I found that I could give him formula, before a year and now that he is older i just give him water or almond milk when I'm gone and nurse when we are together. It works out great. Some other moms on here talk about reverse cycling, I'm not entirely sure how that works but maybe they could give you more info about that if you want to continue bf.
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this
He's the thing: you either limit it to stop the biting or you limit it to never from weaning.
How is limiting it SOME harder than limiting it to NOTHING?
I truly don't understand that mindset, although I see it all the time in bf groups. Either way you're going to have to tell him "no" and make him mad :-)

Quoting Crystal_S:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN