Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

allergic to breastmilk?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:53 AM
  • 29 Replies
One of my besties just had to bring her newborn to he ER last week bc of excessive vomiting and slow weight gain (he's still under birthweight after 7 weeks). They told her he was allergic to the proteins in her milk and had to stop breastfeeding. She is heartbroken and starting to get depressed. Have any of you ever heard of this before? Is there anything I can I say to cheer her up?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Yuriko_chan
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:59 AM

I have not heard of that before. I have heard of women having to cut out dairy, soy, eggs, nuts, etc out of their diet because that causes a reaction in baby.

MrsNiko88
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:06 AM
It is very very rare.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:29 AM
3 moms liked this
He's not allergic to her milk. He may be allergic to things in her diet. She can eliminate those things and continue to nurse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NannyElin
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:46 AM

as a baby i was unable to tolerate breastmilk.... the only thing i could keep down was goats milk. if i were her i would have the pediatrician run tests to check on the babys digestive system. does the baby have any other health issues? that seems pretty bad... below birth weight at 7 weeks... my daughter had trouble regaining her weight but she gained it all back before then.... she has a genetic disorder called cystic fibrosis.

big_red05
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:23 AM

this! before simply saying the baby is allergic to breast milk peroid they need to make sure it isn't something in her diet, milk protien allergies in babies seem to be more common, as well as intolorences to gluten

Quoting aehanrahan:

He's not allergic to her milk. He may be allergic to things in her diet. She can eliminate those things and continue to nurse.

melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:37 AM
Agreed

Quoting aehanrahan:

hnischke
by Heather on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:40 AM
My mom tried to bf me when I was a baby. She said after a few weeks I broke out in a sever rash head up toe. She took pretty much everything out of her diet and no change. She slowly started giving me formula and the rash got better. My mom was heart broken. I was nervous about this happening with my ds but that wasn't the case :)
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:57 AM
This!

Quoting aehanrahan:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
number1mahmee
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:21 AM
No!!!!! Please please please talk your friend they are lying to her!!!!!!!!!! That baby needs to be checked for reflux and she should eliminate eggs and as much dairy as possible from her diet. They tried saying the same abbout my first son and they were so wrong. Baby will not be allergic to mommas milk!!!!!!! Also keep baby at incline to reduce episodes. Also of he is specifically projectile vomiting that can mean something neurological .... tell her to get a second opinion!!! Please! That little one needs breastmilk even moreso because of the issue. Formula will most likely make him sicker and when formula is puked back up it is acidic and can cause damage when breastmilk is puked back up it does no damage. My son projectile puked so badly it went feet and came out his nose!!! There are other reasons... that baby is NOT allergic to mommas milk <3 hopefully I caught you in time to let her know

Quoting kiki2382:

One of my besties just had to bring her newborn to he ER last week bc of excessive vomiting and slow weight gain (he's still under birthweight after 7 weeks). They told her he was allergic to the proteins in her milk and had to stop breastfeeding. She is heartbroken and starting to get depressed. Have any of you ever heard of this before? Is there anything I can I say to cheer her up?

number1mahmee
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:25 AM
When I did switch my bub to formula he became so much in pain he would constantly scream and cry... puke more... had a rash head to toe... solid bowel movements the size of a golf ball that made him bleed! If he is reacting to something in her diet she beds to eliminate formula will make it worse. For my son it was corn... gluten... dairy and egg

Ibreally hope you can pass this info to your friend. There is no reason for Herring have to stop breastfeeding.... she really needs to talk to another doctor. Or wic person :) that's who knew what was wrong with my first son and reffered me to a different doctor
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)