Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
One of my besties just had to bring her newborn to he ER last week bc of excessive vomiting and slow weight gain (he's still under birthweight after 7 weeks). They told her he was allergic to the proteins in her milk and had to stop breastfeeding. She is heartbroken and starting to get depressed. Have any of you ever heard of this before? Is there anything I can I say to cheer her up?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:53 AM
Replies (11-20):
erickkayliesmom
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Talk to a lactation consultant.  He is probably allergic to something she is eating.  Chk out the Dr Sears illimination diet.  It will take her food intake down to the basics (very bland!!!) and will slowly add in new foods until she figures out what it is that is triggering his illness.  My son was allergic to tomatoes & I'm Sicilian!! The dr's kept telling me I wasn't made to breast feed and to use formula.  (I knew in my heart that wasn't right.) I kept digging for an answer and didn't give up til I found one my child and I could live with.  My son is now 6 and he was breastfed exclusively for 13months. (I was pregnant and in my 2nd trimester with my daughter when I stopped.) He never had a drop of formula!! Tell her to stay strong and listed to what her body tells her....if it doesnt feel right it isnt!

shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Sounds very familiar. I was told the same with my DS1. Same issues, vomiting after eating, below birth weight at 7 weeks, he cried 24/7 and I listen to the dr and put him on formula, soy to be exact. I found out later on that I had OAL and an oversupply that he was having a hard time with along with him being tongue tied.
Tell her to have his tongue checked and also his GI tract. The flap at the top of the stomach, more common in boys, takes a lot longer to develop so when they eat and are laid back or laid down then it triggers the vomit. Nurse more upright and keep him upright for at least 30 minutes after a feeding. Maybe some reflux meds but I wouldn't do formula unless the above doesn't work at all.
Also the hospital tried to tell me that they tested my milk and it had the same amount if calories as watered down skim milk. Turns out they never even tested it. They just wanted him on formula because then they could measure what he was taking in instead of just guessing and I didn't know about weigh, feed, weigh and the "LC" they brought me was not so helpful.
AlexSosa
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Sounds like a protein allergy, have your friend talk to a LC or woman from WIC. They helped me so much when I found out DS had allergies. Turns out he was allergic to milk, soy, corn, eggs, seafood, potatoes, and pastachios. I have eliminated all of these things and DS is 100% better, and its 100% worth it. If she wants to BF she needs a second opinion, and one who believes that mothers milk is best for baby. GL to her.

kiki2382
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:25 AM
I just tried calling her, but no answer. So hopefully she gets my text soon. As of last night, she hadn't pumped in 24 hours...

Quoting number1mahmee:

No!!!!! Please please please talk your friend they are lying to her!!!!!!!!!! That baby needs to be checked for reflux and she should eliminate eggs and as much dairy as possible from her diet. They tried saying the same abbout my first son and they were so wrong. Baby will not be allergic to mommas milk!!!!!!! Also keep baby at incline to reduce episodes. Also of he is specifically projectile vomiting that can mean something neurological .... tell her to get a second opinion!!! Please! That little one needs breastmilk even moreso because of the issue. Formula will most likely make him sicker and when formula is puked back up it is acidic and can cause damage when breastmilk is puked back up it does no damage. My son projectile puked so badly it went feet and came out his nose!!! There are other reasons... that baby is NOT allergic to mommas milk <3 hopefully I caught you in time to let her know

Quoting kiki2382:

One of my besties just had to bring her newborn to he ER last week bc of excessive vomiting and slow weight gain (he's still under birthweight after 7 weeks). They told her he was allergic to the proteins in her milk and had to stop breastfeeding. She is heartbroken and starting to get depressed. Have any of you ever heard of this before? Is there anything I can I say to cheer her up?

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

MILK proteins as in dairy from cows milk baby could be having a problem with but not the actual breastmilk, if he was allergic to breastmilk (Galactosemia) he would be dead by 7 weeks, I am not playing around here.

What formula is he on?

kiki2382
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I finally got a hold of her and she confirmed it was a dairy milk allergy. Then she gave me all these excuses (which is typical of her) about how it can take a month to get the dairy out if her system and if she were to cut all dairy out, then she would get sick because of her gastric bypass...
She also said that he might grow out of the allergy, but she said she didn't have the time to pump to maintain her supply...blah, blah, blah.
I really felt for her, but now I just need to vent. I hate it when people go on about their beliefs, but don't back them up with their actions. If she was really dedicated to bf, then she should be doing something about it and not just coming up with excuses. I now feel she only called me to get herself a pity party. I don't mean to sound mean. She is one of my best friends and I love her, but she's all about the drama and it can get on my nerves sometimes.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:35 PM

SOme people just arent cut out to breastfeed, they arent willing to just say I DONT WANT TO DO IT ANYMORE.

Elimination diets are hard, but she could get calcium from other sources...soy, almond or cocont milk would work fine for her..and they make cheese, ice cream and everything out of all those sources.

Sunflower_rn
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:47 PM

i have eliminated dairy and it stinks but is doable. I am not sure I could handle the dairy, soy, nuts, eggs etc. that is me takes a strong person, I already have to make a dinner for me and dinner for my hubby and 2 teens separate cause of the elimination. so far it's working :) fingers crossed 

Sunflower_rn
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:48 PM

so what do you eat? I am always curious when there are so many allergies how people substitute

mommathea
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

MILK proteins as in dairy from cows milk baby could be having a problem with but not the actual breastmilk, if he was allergic to breastmilk (Galactosemia) he would be dead by 7 weeks, I am not playing around here.

What formula is he on?

Not true. My oldest has galactosemia. Duarte Galactosemia to be exact.

Galactosemia  is not being allergic to breast milk, it is th body's inability to digest the galactose suger in food, not just milk, or breast milk.  

There are many different variants o the genetic disorder that a baby can have it, and have severe problem but not be dead by seven weeks, or even be functional, but have problems later on.. My son was almost 8weeks before all the testing was done and we knew for certain it was infact Galactosemia.

also, it is tested for in th newborn screenings, and a false positive is much more likely than a false negative. If the baby was positive for it the newborn test would have come back before now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)