Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
One of my besties just had to bring her newborn to he ER last week bc of excessive vomiting and slow weight gain (he's still under birthweight after 7 weeks). They told her he was allergic to the proteins in her milk and had to stop breastfeeding. She is heartbroken and starting to get depressed. Have any of you ever heard of this before? Is there anything I can I say to cheer her up?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:53 AM
Replies (21-29):
pipers_mom
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:17 PM
I had to cut out dairy, it's hard but doable. It's really hard around here because we don't have any stores that carry a wide selection of dairy alternitives...and what they do have is VERY expensive! I paid almost $6 for a half gallon of store brand soy milk, but it's what needed to be done so I suck it up and deal with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Quoting mommathea:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

MILK proteins as in dairy from cows milk baby could be having a problem with but not the actual breastmilk, if he was allergic to breastmilk (Galactosemia) he would be dead by 7 weeks, I am not playing around here.

What formula is he on?

Not true. My oldest has galactosemia. Duarte Galactosemia to be exact.

Galactosemia  is not being allergic to breast milk, it is th body's inability to digest the galactose suger in food, not just milk, or breast milk.  

There are many different variants o the genetic disorder that a baby can have it, and have severe problem but not be dead by seven weeks, or even be functional, but have problems later on.. My son was almost 8weeks before all the testing was done and we knew for certain it was infact Galactosemia.

also, it is tested for in th newborn screenings, and a false positive is much more likely than a false negative. If the baby was positive for it the newborn test would have come back before now

I know its not allergic to BM but you can not remove galctose from BM so its basically an allergy to it.

The 3 babies I have known died within 3 weeks because they did not have results of their newborn screenings and were EBF

mommathea
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting mommathea:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

MILK proteins as in dairy from cows milk baby could be having a problem with but not the actual breastmilk, if he was allergic to breastmilk (Galactosemia) he would be dead by 7 weeks, I am not playing around here.

What formula is he on?

Not true. My oldest has galactosemia. Duarte Galactosemia to be exact.

Galactosemia  is not being allergic to breast milk, it is th body's inability to digest the galactose suger in food, not just milk, or breast milk.  

There are many different variants o the genetic disorder that a baby can have it, and have severe problem but not be dead by seven weeks, or even be functional, but have problems later on.. My son was almost 8weeks before all the testing was done and we knew for certain it was infact Galactosemia.

also, it is tested for in th newborn screenings, and a false positive is much more likely than a false negative. If the baby was positive for it the newborn test would have come back before now

I know its not allergic to BM but you can not remove galctose from BM so its basically an allergy to it.

The 3 babies I have known died within 3 weeks because they did not have results of their newborn screenings and were EBF

I'm sorry, but it is in no way an allergy in any shape or form.  It is a genetic disease where the body cannot breakdown or use a certain form of sugar. An allergy is where the body sees something as an invader and goes crazy trying to destroy th invading allergen.  Galactosemia is where the galactose sugar builds up in the bloodstream and chutes down the organs causing catostripic body failure.

A allergy is an autoimmune disorder, which many believe can be healed, or minimised, or grown out of. Galactosemia is a genetic disease that is a life long disability.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:10 PM

You don't sound mean to me. I have no patience for pity parties and won't do them.

Quoting kiki2382:

I now feel she only called me to get herself a pity party. I don't mean to sound mean. She is one of my best friends and I love her, but she's all about the drama and it can get on my nerves sometimes.

Mitzi31
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Yeah, I can't believe that the baby woudl be allergic to her milk in general. I bet it's the stuff she's eating. All she needs to do is cut out everything that would cause any allergic reaction like dairy and gluten. I'd cut out peanut butter and all nuts just in case too. She shoudl NOT stop bfing unless it's the last resort. a LOT of babies have issues with things the mother eats and all they do is cut that stuff out and their better in a day or two. Of course it could take a week or two to completely get rid of symptoms. Please talk to her about this and try this before stopping! Doctors want to automatically blame BM for everything it seems. Maybe even try to get her to see someone from the LLL. ANYTHING to just keep her bfing for as long as she can.

kiki2382
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:22 AM
Quoting Mitzi31:

Yeah, I can't believe that the baby woudl be allergic to her milk in general. I bet it's the stuff she's eating. All she needs to do is cut out everything that would cause any allergic reaction like dairy and gluten. I'd cut out peanut butter and all nuts just in case too. She shoudl NOT stop bfing unless it's the last resort. a LOT of babies have issues with things the mother eats and all they do is cut that stuff out and their better in a day or two. Of course it could take a week or two to completely get rid of symptoms. Please talk to her about this and try this before stopping! Doctors want to automatically blame BM for everything it seems. Maybe even try to get her to see someone from the LLL. ANYTHING to just keep her bfing for as long as she can.

I tried talking to her but she started giving me all these excuses why she couldn't. I guess she just isn't that dedicated. It seems she olny called to tell me about it for the drama factor and to make me feel sorry for her.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this
That's too bad. Sorry you got the drama dump and then went through the trouble to try to find help only to find out she was taking the out anyway. She should have just said, "I've struggled and been so conflicted and I've just hit my limit and we're going to try something else."

Quoting kiki2382:

Quoting Mitzi31:

I tried talking to her but she started giving me all these excuses why she couldn't. I guess she just isn't that dedicated. It seems she olny called to tell me about it for the drama factor and to make me feel sorry for her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lizzieiguana
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:05 AM

holy cats! Contact La Leche! He is probably allergic to a FOOD she is eating - most likely dairy!

lizzieiguana
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM

and if she stopped bf'ing it is not too late to start up again, either. so don't let that deter her either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)