Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

do you wake baby to feed?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:33 AM
  • 10 Replies
So I sleep usually around 10-3 and my bf watches baby and I have about 9oz pumped and when I wake up there's about 6 so I'm assuming he gives him 3oz that whole time because baby just falls back to sleep. So should he wake him up to feed him? He feeds every 2 hrs for 20 min during the day.
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:37 AM
1 mom liked this
No need to wake a sleeping baby unless he's having weight issues and/or not producing enough diapers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Katt709
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:40 AM
Never wake a sleeping baby - unless medically necessary. She'll wake when she's hungry.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
angellove1119
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:54 AM
My Lo is 3 months should he be chubby by now? I'm juzt worried he's not chubby enough. I mean he fills out 3month old clothes. I compare him to other babies but the ones I compare him to are forrmula fed. Is it true formula fed babies are bigger?
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:04 AM
Formula fed babies eat a lot more because ounce to ounce formula has less nutrients and parents (myself included) tend to try to get them to finish bottles. A three month old that fits their three month clothing is average size. Unless weight is an issue there is no reason to feed a baby that's not waking and crying due to hunger. The only time I ever woke a baby to feed was in the hospital because my son spent his first two days of life basically asleep. The doctors and lactation consultants made me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:31 AM
2 moms liked this
Being chubby isnt the definition of a healthy baby.
Is he meeting milestones? Is he growing? Is he having 6 diapers a day?

no I do not wake a sleeping baby unless baby is jaundice and potentially if baby isn't up to birth weight.

When you say you sleep 10-3 and your bf watches the baby is he there with you? If so and hes giving bottles your not pumping for eventually you will likely have, supply problems. any time baby receives a bottle you should also pump. Or else your body doesn't know baby needs that milk.
GodsAmiga
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:33 AM

I don't wake a sleeping baby. :-) And neither of my kids were chubby despite being born at over 8lbs. They're still slender and both are very healthy. :-)

number1mahmee
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:43 AM
It doesn't really depend if the baby is formula or breastfed on his/her size... that's mainly genetics. My first son weighs just as much as my 4year old daughter and he is 18 months. He's never been chubby always lean... he is very muscular my second son is 1month 2 days and 12lbs 3oz born at 9lb 4.5 oz and he is a chunker. It really just depends on the baby :)

Quoting angellove1119:

My Lo is 3 months should he be chubby by now? I'm juzt worried he's not chubby enough. I mean he fills out 3month old clothes. I compare him to other babies but the ones I compare him to are forrmula fed. Is it true formula fed babies are bigger?

number1mahmee
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:46 AM
I feed on demand. Never wake my bub to eat.... unless baby is not gaining weight adequately I wouldn't worry about it. Savor your sleep. My son sleeps from 9-11 then 12-3 then 4-8
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:48 AM
My son has always been skinny. He's still in 9mo onsies and he's 15mo.

I, personally, don't like chubby babies. I always think to myself "those babies are beong overfed". I know a few EBF chubby babies, but most that I know are FF and overfed. :(

Quoting angellove1119:

eatyourveges
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:10 AM
This. My lo sometimes sleeps so long I wake up and pump a bit to relieve the pressure, then go back to sleep for a few hours before he gets back up

Quoting Katt709:

Never wake a sleeping baby - unless medically necessary. She'll wake when she's hungry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN