Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

when to start breast feeding (pumping)? Dumb question but serious question

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:26 AM
  • 8 Replies

When should I start pumping breast milk? I have tried breast feeding 2 babies before. I do not produce enough milk or its harder for them to eat from my breast/nipples. I am not sure but I try!! with my last baby she wasn't getting enough milk therefore not gaining enough weight. Should I pump before baby is born? Can you do that? to toughen my nipples up and maybe get my breast ready for new baby?

My sister inlaw is having trouble with breast feeding as well. I realy want to do it right this time.. Thank you so much

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

You should start breastfeeding IN the delivery room, as soon as baby is born!  Do you have flat/inverted nipples?

If you pump only its every 2 hours round the clock for atleast 15 min a session for the first 3-4 months to build supply and only then can you back off a bit.

When you say baby wasnt gaining weight...can you give me more info on that.  How old was she? how much did she lose?

NO pumping while pregnant, this can cause labor and wont get milk, it will get colostrum, but its not a good idea to pump.

NO such thing as toughening up nipples, that just damages them.

sugarandstones
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:02 AM

flat unless hard, but not very pointy or long. Someone told me about some gel? or cream to use.

Her doc said to put her on formula because she wasn't gaining weight fast enough. She was a couple months old.  I almost feel it was her own opinion/view. but she is a doc so I listened. But it was difficult to breast feed after bottle feeding. & I was unsure of the amount she was getting while breast feeding.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

You should start breastfeeding IN the delivery room, as soon as baby is born!  Do you have flat/inverted nipples?

If you pump only its every 2 hours round the clock for atleast 15 min a session for the first 3-4 months to build supply and only then can you back off a bit.

When you say baby wasnt gaining weight...can you give me more info on that.  How old was she? how much did she lose?

NO pumping while pregnant, this can cause labor and wont get milk, it will get colostrum, but its not a good idea to pump.

doulala
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:11 AM

As soon as you have your baby you can start.     It probably will be a little challenging here and there but stick with it and get Good Help!

Do you go to La Leche meetings?    If not, you can start going now.     It's great to have that established!
:-)

GL!

Lots of things you can do prenatally!
:-)

WANT TO PREPARE FOR BFing WHILE YOU'RE PREGNANT?

Do what you can to stay hydrated, well-fed, rested.

Go for as natural a birth as possible.

Keep baby with you at birth, no bottles or pacifiers.

Plan to have help at home so that you don't need to do anything but Babymoon.

Stay in bed for 2 weeks breastfeeding.

Let others handle life for you.

Stay committed, know that keeping with it can be tricky but worth it!

Start attending La Leche League meetings now and continue after the birth for information and support.

You can read The Womanly Art Of Breastfeeding now, too.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Quoting sugarandstones:

flat unless hard, but not very pointy or long. Someone told me about some gel? or cream to use.ummm I know nothing about a cream but you can wear nipple shells to help teach your nipples to draw out, you can wear those while pregnant so nipples are ready when baby is born

Her doc said to put her on formula because she wasn't gaining weight fast enough.yeah doctors arent trained in BFing at all, and theres never a need to go all formula for thatShe was a couple months old.  I almost feel it was her own opinion/view.yep totally but she is a doc so I listenedlesson learned, doctors are BFing idiots. But it was difficult to breast feed after bottle feeding. & I was unsure of the amount she was getting while breast feeding.BEST way to judge what shes getting is to count diapers 6 a day after a week old and baby is getting plenty

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Many doctors expect way more gain than is normal for breastfed babies. You do NOT have to do everything a doctor recommends.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sugarandstones
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Thank you ladies so much
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ClementineL
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I totally agree with these ladies.  Lanolin is what you can put on your nipples and you can start before the baby is here.  

LaLeche League saved my life breastfeeding my first child and gave me the tools to keep it up for 13 months when he weaned himself. With my second it has been a breeze.  But I still tell mommas breastfeeding is the hardest thing I have ever done.  EVER!

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this
The best way for you to succeed is to start learning correct info & expectations NOW.

First of all, if you want to breastfeed, Mom doesn't ever give bottles. Baby can have bottles when Mom can't be there, but they need to be fed slowly and kept small. The difficulty you saw when nursing after bottle feeding was likely a bottle preference developing. Small amounts fed slowly when Mom isn't there help prevent this.

Next, know what to expect with baby's weight. Doctors really don't know about breastfeeding and usually expect way to much gain. When they have a slow gaining formula fed baby, they say "oh, it's a small baby" but if you bf they immediately blame that.
So baby should lose weight the entire first week. That's 100% normal and ok. After that (THE LOWEST weight is what you work from, NOT birth weight) you look for baby to gain at least 4 ounces a week (1 pound a month), on AVERAGE. A few weeks of slower gain is fine if baby is doing well long term. Also if baby puts on 2 pounds the first month and then nothing the next, it's completely fine.

Lastly you know baby is getting enough by counting diapers. 1 pet day of life the first week and at least 6 a day after that and you know baby is getting plenty! It can't come out if it's not going in :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)