Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Frustrated Mom help!!!!

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:08 PM
  • 36 Replies
Okay I've been breast feeding for about three weeks now. My baby girl was a preemie so she kinda needed help learning to eat, well when I put her on the boob she latched on right away like a pro but the problem is that there are some days where It freaking hurts and burn and feels like she's ripping off my nipple and there are days when she's doing great and is feeding just fine. Idk why this is happening. I remember reading somewhere that breast feeding is not supposed to hurt and that if it hurts the baby is most likely not latched on right but whenever I check on her she is stll sucking and milk is coming out. I just wanna know like what to do to make it stop hurting this much and has anyone else experienced this?? I try to keep my cool and eat the pain when this happens but I'm almost losing it and keep thinking about just pumping the milk and taking her off the boob but I really wanna breast feed. Any thoughts?? Btw I bought the lanolin I use it often.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Starshine-bela
by Leah on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Does it hurt through the whole nursing or just at the beginning? I had some pain for awhile but it was only during the first 30 seconds, which I was told was normal in the first few weeks. It has since ended and my LO is 7 weeks old now. He's my only experience with bf though so I could be way off the mark. I hope it gets better though. Don't give up
missyice
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:41 PM
My daughter (5 wo) latched badly one feed. It hurt heaps but she still got milk. I didnt realise it was a bad latch till she finished and i saw damage on my nipple.
mrs.noska11
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Like some days it hurts and some days it doesn't or she'll do really well on one breast and horrible on the other boob. And then she does like this sucking thing as she takes a break while on my breast and it feels like someone is sticking needles through my nipple so today I was feeding her it was burning so I switched to the other breast after a while and she was just killing my nipple so I stopped and grabbed one of the bottle I had stored in my freezer. Like when she was in the hospital I was pumping my milk out and had a good supply and now that I don't have the electric breast pump my milk supply has gotten low with the manual pump and the breast feeding. Anywho. Idk as of right now my nipple are so numb from the pain

Quoting Starshine-bela:

Does it hurt through the whole nursing or just at the beginning? I had some pain for awhile but it was only during the first 30 seconds, which I was told was normal in the first few weeks. It has since ended and my LO is 7 weeks old now. He's my only experience with bf though so I could be way off the mark. I hope it gets better though. Don't give up

Paradys
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Sounds like a bad latch, have her looked at by an ENT (if poss) or an IBCLC.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Starshine-bela
by Leah on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:55 PM
I agree, sounds like a bad latch
mrs.noska11
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:40 PM
I know its a bad latch but its like when I try to adjust her she moves a lot I always try to push myself through it because I really wanna breast feed but this is my second child and she was doing better than my first daughter but I think I'm just gonna breast pump(electric) til my milk dries out.

Quoting Paradys:

gumeshoe
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Keep unlatching and relatching until you get it right. In the begining we did this a lot.

Quoting mrs.noska11:

I know its a bad latch but its like when I try to adjust her she moves a lot I always try to push myself through it because I really wanna breast feed but this is my second child and she was doing better than my first daughter but I think I'm just gonna breast pump(electric) til my milk dries out.

Quoting Paradys:

SouthTxPrincess
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:29 PM
It's probably nipple confusion from the bottles. She latches differently to the bottle than she does to you. When your nursing and it starts to hurt use your pinky to break her latch in the corner of her mouth and relatch her every time. It will take time though for her to have a consistent latch.
Thoughtfulmommy
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Stay strong and keep at it if you can. It can be very frustrating. Make sure her lips are not tucked inward, that is a common problem with my little one.
sugar38
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:39 PM

hang in there  mama it will get better i had that same experience but it got better in like two weeks now my baby is 6mths mths much better and still bf 

Quoting mrs.noska11:

Quoting Paradys:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN