Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I decided I want to work... a question + a concern

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:24 PM
  • 8 Replies

After this baby is born next month, I've healed from the c-section, and barring any special health problems that LO might have (so far my babies have been healthy), I would like to go to work.  I just want to find a job I will like, whether it be full-time or part-time. My husband's work schedule rotates so he is home 1-2 days per week, plus whatever my work schedule would end up being so baby won't need to be in daycare every single day or anything like that.

Anyway, I want to avoid overfeeding (with bottles). I didn't want to do pacifiers, but should I buy some anyway just for use at daycare so that they can try to soothe her in other ways before automatically assuming she is hungry again and using all my milk?

My biggest fear is that they will use all the milk and run out and she will starve the rest of the day or they use formula even though I KNOW that baby only needs about 1-1.25 oz/per hour away from me in no bigger than 2-3 oz. portions.

I am so terrified of this happening that I might see if my pediatrician would write a doctor's note stating not to give more than that amount so that if they defied what *I* want, they would be less likely to defy what the doctor says you know. My pediatrician is pretty good about requests like this since she states her opinion (which is the same as these guidelines anyway) and then lets the parent make the final choice.

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Thoughtfulmommy
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:29 PM
Going back to work after my first baby and a c-section, made me feel so much better about myself.So congrats on that decision. I am not sure what kind of area you live in and how many daycares there are, but "shop around". Talk to the people who run it, express your concerns and see what they say. It won't hurt to have a doctor's note of they are willing to provide one. Good luck!
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I would heavily vet the daycare/sitter. You shouldn't NEED to resort to a dr note. They should be willing and able to work with you. My daycare is across the street from my work so if I get a long lunch I can go nurse her and they love it!

I did have to have a note to skip cereal but that was because of a USDA grant they receive and they HAVE to feed it to all babies.(or they lose the grant). If you can't trust them to follow your rules, they aren't a good fit for your child.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks. My mom has said she would be willing to watch the kids while I work until I find the best match for our family.  Any time she does this, she is losing out on pay at work, so I am grateful for her offer.  I hope I wouldn't need to go as far as the doctor's note, but I think it would make me feel more confident lol. I will be visiting lots of daycares around the area I will be job hunting and asking questions and talking specifically to the infant teacher about how she handles the breastfed baby.  If something feels off, I won't even consider that one.

Quoting Thoughtfulmommy:

Going back to work after my first baby and a c-section, made me feel so much better about myself.So congrats on that decision. I am not sure what kind of area you live in and how many daycares there are, but "shop around". Talk to the people who run it, express your concerns and see what they say. It won't hurt to have a doctor's note of they are willing to provide one. Good luck!

jendigme
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Whoa, I didn't k now that about the cereal. My dd hasn't started daycare yet thankfully but we already have a daycare that my older dd goes to. They keep asking me when they are getting my baby....I don't wanna put her with anyone but family. I won't have a choice later;sorry I'm rambling, my point is when do they "start" them on cereal?

Quoting audmom1218:

I would heavily vet the daycare/sitter. You shouldn't NEED to resort to a dr note. They should be willing and able to work with you. My daycare is across the street from my work so if I get a long lunch I can go nurse her and they love it!

I did have to have a note to skip cereal but that was because of a USDA grant they receive and they HAVE to feed it to all babies.(or they lose the grant). If you can't trust them to follow your rules, they aren't a good fit for your child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:05 PM

The ones I worked at was 6 months, unless parent requested earlier with doctor's note for medical reasons or even personal choice.  Parents had to provide it all though.  Otherwise the parents and the infant teachers talked together at 6 months about the food program.  Some said no and brought their own homemade baby food or said no solids until baby can pick it up on their own. I'm sure every center is different in how they handle these things though.

Quoting jendigme:

Whoa, I didn't k now that about the cereal. My dd hasn't started daycare yet thankfully but we already have a daycare that my older dd goes to. They keep asking me when they are getting my baby....I don't wanna put her with anyone but family. I won't have a choice later;sorry I'm rambling, my point is when do they "start" them on cereal?

Quoting audmom1218:

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Do be sure you give yourself enough time to heal and to establish your milk supply. Check kellymom.com for articles on pumping and storing--lots of good information there which will help things go smoothly.
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:23 PM
I don't know what age they started. My dd started this daycare at 9 mo and the daycare was totally fine with skipping it, but in order to keep their grant through the USDA they needed the ppw from the dr. Again, they were really open about things and very understanding of my parenting choices and even skipped the purées and offered soft solids like the big kids get. Trusting your daycare is the key here!

Quoting jendigme:

Quoting audmom1218:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this

They should be able to soothe without food or pacifier. If they cannot, move on to another candidate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)