Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Super sore nipples

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:41 PM
  • 4 Replies

I could use some advice. I am EBF my son who is a little over 3 weeks now. He has a beautiful latch and nurses well, but I am extremely sore. Lately he has been choking and gulping at the breast and I assume I either have an oversupply or overactive letdown. He is super gassy and has heavy diapers, but his poo is the typical seedy yellow (not frothy or green). I try to block feed on one side to keep the supply low and make sure he is getting hind-milk, but I am so sore that I literally cry through all of the feedings. Sometimes he is so gassy and his tummy hurts so bad that he lets out a screech while trying to feed and it breaks my heart. He is also really rough lately and moves around while trying to pull off (still latched). I am wondering if I am sore because he is clamping down to slow my supply, or because he is fussing at the breast, or could it be the start of thrush? I guess I just need to know if I'm doing this right because seeing him cry in pain makes me feel like a terrible mommy = (. Thanks in advance.

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this

The only terrible mommy is the one who beats her baby. You don't qualify for the mysteriously coveted "Bad Mom" badge. **smile**

His latch may look beautiful, but it's not. Your pain is the proof. Yes, the clamping is contributing to it. If you're not using reclined nursing, start. Block feeding alone is not enough for the symptoms you describe.

Get him checked for tongue tie as well. A lactation consultant can do this. 

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:23 AM
What she said! ^^^
http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thoughtfulmommy
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:27 AM
If you can, maybe try pumping if you can't get to a consultant right away. That may provide you with a bit of relief and he will still be getting breast milk.
KristenandCaleb
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Thanks ladies, I nurse him laying back and I plan on calling an LC today. That makes me feel a lot better, I can't help but cry every time he gets so upset and doesn't want to feed = (

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN