Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

getting tubes tied and lactation?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:29 AM
  • 18 Replies
Does getting your tubes tied cause lactation problems? I was going to get it done during my c section but just heard in another post it causes problems with bf..?

Thanks for all the info ladies! I'm feeling much better about it now.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amanda7409
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:49 AM
Bump...
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:21 AM
The MODS always start with the oldest post so if it hasn't been an hour i wouldn't bump. It'll get answered faster that way. But i'm really not sure. We're still hoping for one more. Idk why it would though
shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:25 AM
I believe if your just getting them tied and not removed you are fine.
Like pp said. In this group you want to be in page 2 with little to no replies to get answered fastest.
MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I had my tubes tied after I had my twins. I did have problems but it wasn't related to the procedure (prematurity and nipple confusion) 

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:37 AM
I find it interesting that I can't find cold, hard facts about this. Searching on the Internet just came up with forum discussions about this. While in theory I would expect lactation to be the same because all the parts are still there and the hormones should be functioning normally, there are a couple people here and there that turn up with a problem, a"tubal ligation syndrome." But thousands upon thousands seem fine. But I can tell you I understand why vasectomies are becoming more popular.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:44 AM
As I read more about theories of tubal ligation syndrome, apparently they suspect that blood supply to the ovaries is damaged during the surgery and then they "turn off", so the body doesn't act like they are there anymore and the hormone receptors get out of whack. So while I assumed the pieces parts are there, I guess, while rare, the body doesn't think so.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

I find it interesting that I can't find cold, hard facts about this. Searching on the Internet just came up with forum discussions about this. While in theory I would expect lactation to be the same because all the parts are still there and the hormones should be functioning normally, there are a couple people here and there that turn up with a problem, a"tubal ligation syndrome." But thousands upon thousands seem fine. But I can tell you I understand why vasectomies are becoming more popular.
gilbertgrl627
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:44 AM

My youngest was born in February 2012, and the next day I had my tubes tied. No issues for me BF whatsoever. He was EBF until about 8 or 9 months when I started giving him baby food a little more regularly. lol. I'm still BF him, and still no problems (except when he bites).

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Like she said, there shouldn't be any lactation issues because the hormones involved shouldn't be affected.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

As I read more about theories of tubal ligation syndrome, apparently they suspect that blood supply to the ovaries is damaged during the surgery and then they "turn off", so the body doesn't act like they are there anymore and the hormone receptors get out of whack. So while I assumed the pieces parts are there, I guess, while rare, the body doesn't think so.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrs.Martinez201
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:34 AM
I got mine tied with my last one, he's 10 days old and I have the same massive supply I did with the First 2.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Generally no. I suspect some of the women reporting problems may have been advised to stop nursing while on their pain meds. THAT will have negative impact on supply.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)