Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Don't make the mother feel guilty for not breastfeeding.

Posted by   + Show Post

"One of the most powerful arguments many health professionals, government agencies and formula company manufacturers make for not promoting and supporting breastfeeding is that we should "not make the mother feel guilty for not breastfeeding". Even some strong breastfeeding advocates are disarmed by this "not making mothers feel guilty" ploy.

It is, in fact, nothing more than a ploy. It is an argument that deflects attention from the lack of knowledge and understanding of too many health professionals about breastfeeding. This allows them not to feel guilty for their ignorance of how to help women overcome difficulties with breastfeeding, which could have been overcome and usually could have been prevented in the first place if mothers were not so undermined in their attempts to breastfeed..."

from: http://kellymom.com/bf/advocacy/bf_and_guilt_01-00/

Do you agree?  Have you experienced this?

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Replies (71-75):
BnAJsMommy
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:48 PM
2 moms liked this
I did not feel badly for turning to forumla after one month of BF my first. I did not have the support/knowledge I required to continue and I knew I would do whatever it took to feed my child. IMO, regardless of how the baby is fed, if it's fed, then you're a good mom. I hope and plan to be more succsessful this time around, in fact, to inform the hospital staff to NOT give baby a bottle or paci this time because they did the first time and it made LO lazy to nurse. But I digress, FEED YOUR CHILD, regardless of the method. And do not let ANYONE make you feel bad for popping out the boob or the bottle in public.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thedathree
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Quoting lifeforchrist:

I think they feel guilty all on their own. It seems like when you present proof that formula has dangers, and breast is best they want to defend it to the death. I think formula moms should change their attitutde. No one's making you feel guilty, if you chose formula you chose a worse product than breastmilk. It's just a fact.

I am a single mom with 3 kids. my son is 12 and requires constant care due to being profoundly handicapped. I had problems nursing at about 3 weeks with my daughter who will be 2 months on the 29th. due to bad advice from doctor and stress and ppd and my 3 kids I didn't have time or energy to get baby on breast and I am pumping almost all bottles now. I feel like crap enough on my own. I don't want to hear negative from others. it may be the best on breast but I have other obligations too and when you don't have time or resources its really hard emotionally. I don't lash out but I do feel sad when people say how I ruined her being on breast by giving bottles. she had some issues and needed to eat. I barley had energy to go to the dr for my babys issues. I never went back for a six week check up.
chrissydan
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this
All in all i think its the mothers choice what she wants to do it doesn't make her any less of a mom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Travelbugg
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:01 AM
It's obviously a very sensitive topic. On 1 hand I do think there is a lot of education that needs to happen out there... I know quite a few family members---some who even said they enjoyed nursing--- who are completely Misinformed about nursing. Ie the cousin who said she had to stop nursing bc she had oversupply, and was so sad about it. On the other hand I also have a very good friend who had serious supply issues... And yes I know it's rare, as does she, but she went through hell trying to up her supply and it still wasn't enough. The baby was losing weight. She wound up ff but still pumped over 5 times A DAY --- only getting 4 Oz total--- just so she could give her boy 1 bottle a day of breastmilk. Because She WAS informed of the benefits etc. She did this for 8 months! And I know she suffers terrible mommy guilt that she couldn't EBF, and sadness too. And its for the women like her, or for another friend of mine who had a premie, and who's milk was slow to come in....those are the ones I feel like do apply to the question stated. people see a bottle in hand and are quick to judge, and we don't know the full story.
That being said, maybe conversations need to be had on many levels... Education without judging.... Change the way we talk about breastfeeding, or make sure breastfeeding awareness is made a mandatory part of prenatal care. I know my Gyn only asked did I intend to breastfeed or not, and yet, never was I given any info in HOW! Or what to do to increase supply. I had to take that initiative on my own. Many women assume that since bfing IS natural it will be second nature. And of course we here all know its not.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
unspecified42
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I don't think anyone should feel guilty for not breastfeeding ever. I think whoever wrote this is kind of a bitch.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)