Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

trouble woth latch need help

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:48 PM
  • 6 Replies

so lo is 6 weeks and occasionally is a lazy latch but recently it is worse she is doing the folded lip thing and I can't get in there and fix it. it's generally the bottom lip because she has a terrible underbite. suggestions? it's starting to cause damage so I need help. thanks

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Has she been checked for lip and tongue ties?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:55 PM
I would take her to see an endrochronolgist (sorry, i know i butchered the name), and for now when shr nurses and if the latch is bad you can pull her chin down to get a deeper latch. I hope that will help
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BennyBaby09
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:03 PM
I would take my nipple and run in in their bottom lip to make sure they opened up wide and then sort of angle the nipple toward the roof of their mouth. Also like someone else said pull down on the chin a little to help flange the bottom lip out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Endocrinologists are doctors dealing with glandular disorders like diabetes, thyroid etc. This is not what you need. I think perhaps she meant an ENT or Ear, nose and throat doctor :)

I would call a la leche league person or a lactation consultant to check for tongue tie.

My son had a major receding chin at birth and I found the football hold to be the easiest to get a good latch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:24 PM

I think you need to see a good IBCLC who is experienced in latch difficulties. There can be physical issues like tongue tie, lip tie, recessed chin, etc. that can make it difficult for baby to latch and use their muscles correctly. This can lead to poor milk transfer and pain/damage to mom's nipples.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:05 AM
I agree.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

I think you need to see a good IBCLC who is experienced in latch difficulties. There can be physical issues like tongue tie, lip tie, recessed chin, etc. that can make it difficult for baby to latch and use their muscles correctly. This can lead to poor milk transfer and pain/damage to mom's nipples.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)