Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
So after reading some posts in the "babies" group, especially the one that wanted permission NOT to breastfeeding her premie, I have to wonder why? With all the info that is out there showing the benefits to babies, especially premies, would you not want to breastfeed? I just don't get it. Why have a child in the first place if you aren't willing to at least TRY and give them the best possible start?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Replies (11-20):
BennyBaby09
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:50 PM
More likely to be a lesbian? Really?! Now I have heard it all! That is ridiculous. Do people really believe that stuff or are they just looking for any reason not to breastfeed? Smh

Quoting Denisethedaring:

I've encountered two classes of reasons to not want to breastfeed: reasons I can empathize with, even if I don't agree with them, and reasons that are too weird to be real (except they are).  My favorite example of the latter was some chick that said she didn't want to breastfeed her daughter because she thought it would make her daughter more likely to be a lesbian.  (I am not making that up, I swear.)

BennyBaby09
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:52 PM
I tend to agree with you on that point. What I don't understand however is why is it ok to have a 16 year old with tops cut down to her nipples boobs hanging out, yet if a mom wants to bf in public she is shot nasty looks or have people be outright rude mean and degrading? I worry about our society.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

So much in our society has moms convinced that it is "icky". Breasts are so over sexualized in our culture. Start noticing every time breasts are on "display" or used in advertising. I think that is one of the reasons.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:53 PM
4 moms liked this
But breastfeeding isn't as simple as what kind of shoes you choose. It's more like comparing organic meals made from scratch to "just add water to box and heat" meals. While they both accomplish the goal of "feeding", you can't swap them out as equal versions of the same thing.

Quoting mama-smurf:

Thats what makes this world beautiful. We have choices. We have rights. Pork or beef? Water or juice? Pants or shorts? Flip flops or shoes?

Quoting BennyBaby09:

I guess I don't understand the mentality of it being a CHOICE. A hundred years ago no one had a choice, it was breast milk or die, those were your options. Why have we replaced something natural and perfect for every baby with something made in a lab, where it can be contaminated with bacteria, and is allowed to have so many insect parts and other nasties per can/oz whatever? I just don't get it.

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Yes, but the mother has has a right to feed her child however she please. What if the child was breastfeed and became a druggie? Drop out who never amounted to anything? What if a formula fed child became an extremely successful business woman or man? Then how do you explain that? What happened to that best possible start in life? Yes breast is best but if you don't raise the child right way, or child doesn't want to amount to anything, that best possible start in life, people are fighting over, is no good. Im not saying who cares about breastmilk, what im saying is, the child eating, period, is whata important. Yes breast is best, but is a child eating.

Quoting BennyBaby09:

Doesn't your child have a RIGHT to have the best possible start in life?

Quoting mama-smurf:

Thats what makes this world beautiful. We have choices. We have rights. Pork or beef? Water or juice? Pants or shorts? Flip flops or shoes?

Quoting BennyBaby09:

I guess I don't understand the mentality of it being a CHOICE. A hundred years ago no one had a choice, it was breast milk or die, those were your options. Why have we replaced something natural and perfect for every baby with something made in a lab, where it can be contaminated with bacteria, and is allowed to have so many insect parts and other nasties per can/oz whatever? I just don't get it.

maggiandmike
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:58 PM
3 moms liked this
I never made a "choice." I didn't need to. And it wasn't about what was "best" or "healthy" at all. In my family, and our home, breast is all there ever was. When people say "no one did that in my generation...." They are full of bull because every single one of my mother(early 70s and mid 80s), grandmothers(mid-late 50s) and great grandmothers(20s-30s) great-great....(you get the idea) nursed. My maternal grandmother even RELACTATED in theearly 50s after a car wreck and hospitalization to nurse my aunt. And they give great advice on nursing (except weaning at age 1). It's so much in the mindset of a woman what she will do. For me, there was no alternative. My milk took a full 7 days to come in with my first, and his jaundice levels got up to 23. I had no choice but to supplement after 3 days, and you'd better bet I cried every time. But I pushed, and when it finally came, I cried again. I never doubted that I could because it's what women are made to do.

..... That came off a little ranty..... Sorry!!
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:58 PM

It is acceptable in our society for breast to be on "display" but not to be used for breastfeeding.

This comic explains it really well:

Quoting BennyBaby09:

I tend to agree with you on that point. What I don't understand however is why is it ok to have a 16 year old with tops cut down to her nipples boobs hanging out, yet if a mom wants to bf in public she is shot nasty looks or have people be outright rude mean and degrading? I worry about our society.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

So much in our society has moms convinced that it is "icky". Breasts are so over sexualized in our culture. Start noticing every time breasts are on "display" or used in advertising. I think that is one of the reasons.

BennyBaby09
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:02 AM
I'm not understanding your logic. I'm not trying to be mean or argue here but I just don't get what you are saying. Breast is best and that is a fact. According to you just because a child is breastfed doesn't mean they will amount to anything? Is that correct? I'm not talking about curing cancer or obtaining world peace, that would revolve more around how kids are raised. However I would like to point out that more lower income famlies use formula and are often less educated than mothers that breastfeed.

Of course their are exceptions, but still something to think about.

What I was referencing by the best possible start in life is it has been shown that breastfeeding reduces SIDS, leads to high iq's, and lowers likelihood of child becoming obese later in life among MANY other things. Why WOULDN'T you want that for your child?

Quoting mama-smurf:

Yes, but the mother has has a right to feed her child however she please. What if the child was breastfeed and became a druggie? Drop out who never amounted to anything? What if a formula fed child became an extremely successful business woman or man? Then how do you explain that? What happened to that best possible start in life? Yes breast is best but if you don't raise the child right way, or child doesn't want to amount to anything, that best possible start in life, people are fighting over, is no good. Im not saying who cares about breastmilk, what im saying is, the child eating, period, is whata important. Yes breast is best, but is a child eating.

Quoting BennyBaby09:

Quoting mama-smurf:

Quoting BennyBaby09:

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:03 AM
True. I see what youre saying but not everyone wants to breast feed. If they don't want to give their child the best then who cares? We can pout and moan but its not our child. Nothings equal. Somethings always going to be bettee than something else. But sometimes not everybody can or wants the best. Fast food vs home coked meal. Some choose home cooked, healthier, more family orientated. Others choose fast food, fast, expensive no clean up. Not everybody will be and do the same. Not everyone wants to do the same, even of its healthy or not. Sorry im rambling.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

But breastfeeding isn't as simple as what kind of shoes you choose. It's more like comparing organic meals made from scratch to "just add water to box and heat" meals. While they both accomplish the goal of "feeding", you can't swap them out as equal versions of the same thing.

Quoting mama-smurf:

Quoting BennyBaby09:

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:07 AM
3 moms liked this
Our society is seeing epidemic childhood obesity. There is obviously something wrong with the food choices out there. We need to take some serious responsibility for what we're putting in our kids' bellies. If we ate things as scaled back to a "natural" diet (fruits, vegetables, meats, breastmilk) I'm sure we'd all be in better shape. Nothing processed can ever be as healthy as the real thing.
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:10 AM
I was using that as an example. Not stating its a fact. I don't look at someones financial situation when determining if their formula fed or not. I know some people who arent low income and that use formula and poor that breast feed.

As for the iqs and reducing sids thats awesome but what if you breastfeed hoping your child doesn't die from sids or is really smart and get the opposite? Thats what im asking.

Quoting BennyBaby09:

I'm not understanding your logic. I'm not trying to be mean or argue here but I just don't get what you are saying. Breast is best and that is a fact. According to you just because a child is breastfed doesn't mean they will amount to anything? Is that correct? I'm not talking about curing cancer or obtaining world peace, that would revolve more around how kids are raised. However I would like to point out that more lower income famlies use formula and are often less educated than mothers that breastfeed.

Of course their are exceptions, but still something to think about.

What I was referencing by the best possible start in life is it has been shown that breastfeeding reduces SIDS, leads to high iq's, and lowers likelihood of child becoming obese later in life among MANY other things. Why WOULDN'T you want that for your child?

Quoting mama-smurf:

Quoting BennyBaby09:

Quoting mama-smurf:

Quoting BennyBaby09:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)