Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

which breast pump

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:36 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hello. :-) Does anyone know if the medela harmony manual breastpump is worth it? Is it a good pump or is it not worth buying it?? And if there are any other brands, which are known for good performance?

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:38 PM
For a manual I would definitely go with an Avent. For an electric, I'd go with Hygeia, Ameda, or Lansinoh. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Diana_B.
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:40 PM
I love the medela harmony. Didnt care for Lactina. I also had a small double electric that ran in battery but I forget what Medela style is was. I took it everywhere and even pumped while driving but covered up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Diana_B.
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Oh just saw you meant manual. Harmony Manuel is not worth it. Anyone is fine really.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stargaze281
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Quoting Diana_B.:

I love the medela harmony. Didnt care for Lactina. I also had a small double electric that ran in battery but I forget what Medela style is was. I took it everywhere and even pumped while driving but covered up.

Alright, so the medela harmony pumps good?

stargaze281
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Quoting Diana_B.:

Oh just saw you meant manual. Harmony Manuel is not worth it. Anyone is fine really.

Oh, why is the medela manual pump not worth it??

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:46 PM

I had both the Avent Isis and the Medela Harmony hand pumps with my last baby, and I preferred the Medela Harmony (and I think it costs less than the Avent). So yes, it is worth it.

stargaze281
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Quoting maggiemom2000:

I had both the Avent Isis and the Medela Harmony hand pumps with my last baby, and I preferred the Medela Harmony (and I think it costs less than the Avent). So yes, it is worth it.

Okay. Do you think it's a good idea to use the medela harmony on demand, like alot? I have heard the manual is better than the electric one?

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Quoting stargaze281:

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Okay. Do you think it's a good idea to use the medela harmony on demand, like alot? I have heard the manual is better than the electric one?

What is your pumping need (returning to work or school full time? SAHM?)

in general, a manual pump is best for occasional pumping. If you will be pumping every day, or will be needing to pump becuase you will be separated from baby, then a good quality double electric pump really is a *must*. It may seem like a lot to spend $200 on a pump, but it is WAY less than fomrula feeding! Insurance is now required to cover it, although for some people it won't phase in until some time this year, and it can be a bit tricky to deal with your insurance since it is a new rule, they are still working out all of the kinks.

If you qualify for WIC, you may be able to get or borrow a good quality pump for free if you are going back to work or school.

From 

What type of pump should I use?

A high-quality, full-size, double-electric pump is recommended for a mom who plans to pump milk every day. A pump that is made by a manufacturer specializing in breastfeeding equipment will be of higher quality than cheaper pumps made by a company whose primary products are bottle-feeding equipment or baby food. A breast pump is an item for which the old adage, “You get what you pay for,” often rings true. Another option for many mothers is renting a multiple-user pump from a trusted source such as a Hospital, Tribal Health Clinic, or local IBCLC. Most WIC offices provide pumps to moms who are returning to work or school; contact your local WIC office to see if you qualify. Many families have health insurance that is willing to cover the cost of renting a hospital-grade pump. If you are able, call your insurance provider for the details of your own coverage when you are pregnant. Recent 2011 news from the IRS states that electric pumps are now tax deductible, so keep your receipts for your tax records.

In our opinion, the top three single user pumps on the market today are:
Pump Brand/Model
Cost range
Warranty
Mechanics
WHO-CODE
Hygeia Enjoye*
$180-300
3 year
Closed system
Compliant
Ameda Purely Yours
$150-180
1 year
Closed system
Compliant
Medela Pump in Style
$250-350
1 year
Open system
Non-compliant
*Sold in the category commonly referred to as single-user pumps; Hygeia is the only pump company that has sought and received FDA approval for their pump to be used by more than one person.

What is the difference between an open and closed system pump? 

With an open system, if milk or condensation makes its way into the tubing, it is possible for mold to begin to grow in the motor. There is no way to clean the pump motor, and any mold spores present could come through the tubing and possibly into contact with the expressed milk. Furthermore, if the pump is second-hand or was used by another mother, germs from one mother or her milk could contaminate the milk in the same way. An open system is built to be a single-user system only.

Closed system pumps are just what they seem: there is no way for the milk to come into contact with the motor. Theoretically, any closed system pump could be safely used by more than one person (each with her own tubing and other external pump parts). 

What is the WHO CODE, and why is it important to consider when buying a breast pump?

The “WHO CODE” is short for the World Health Organization’s International Code of the Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes. Part of the purpose of the WHO CODE is to protect breastfeeding by preventing aggressive marketing of breastmilk substitutes and artificial nipples. Many people prefer to purchase a breast pump from a company that is supportive of and compliant with the WHO CODE.

More information on both the breast pumps, the WHO CODE, and open and closed systems can be found at: The Problems with Medela
Steamedpuddle30
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:13 AM
I h w the medala. I like it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Allebas
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:16 AM

I used the Avent Isis!!! It was the BEST pump ever!!! I was able to pump a total of 8 ounces in less than 20 minutes!! YEP!! 4 ounces from each side!! I tried a Medela pump in style and it hurt like HELL to pump! It took me 3 pumping sessions of 20 minutes each just to get 8 ounces!!! YEP!! A whole HOUR total to get the same amount with the Avent Isis in less than 20 minutes!! The Avent Isis does NOT hurt when you pump! GOOD LUCK!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN