Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding Education Added to School Curriculum

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM
  • 48 Replies
1 mom liked this

Do you support the idea of this- having breastfeeding taught in school?  If it was taught locally, which level of education would you think it would fit in best?  In this article, they plan on implementing breastfeeding education into primary (elementary), secondary (high school) and tertiary (college)levels.

http://www.emirates247.com/news/emirates/sharjah-to-introduce-breastfeeding-education-in-schools-2013-01-22-1.492156

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:55 AM
2 moms liked this
I think it should be a sex ed thing only.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Breastfeeding taught during sex-ed?

Quoting mama-smurf:

ruby_jewel_04
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know exactly how it would be tied in to the sex ed class. Maybe it could be attached to the birth unit. I think they still do that right? But I think Its a great idea. :)

corkysunshine
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:56 AM
2 moms liked this
I think its a great idea I don't see anything wrong with it breast feeding is natural. Maybe if it is taught early women wouldn't be all omg or offended by it and we can finally feed our babies in public without a dirty look
BennyBaby09
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:57 AM
2 moms liked this
Unfortunately that isn't here in the US.i do think it should be part of the curriculum though. More educate, more normalizing of breastfeeding make it more likely that more moms would at least attempt to breastfeed and that is never a bad thing.
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Yes sex ed. Sex leads to pregnancy, pregnancy leads to babies, boom, add in breastfeeding and information they talk about he human body. Perfect.

Quoting jean_marie1987:

Quoting mama-smurf:

corkysunshine
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Now that I think bout it in health class (highschool) forever ago lol we talked about breastfeeding .

Quoting corkysunshine:

I think its a great idea I don't see anything wrong with it breast feeding is natural. Maybe if it is taught early women wouldn't be all omg or offended by it and we can finally feed our babies in public without a dirty look
bebe_ju-rah
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:59 AM
I think it should be available but not forced on anyone. Like an elective in hs...maybe a part of sex ed. That's something that should be talked about at home, like sex IMO BUT available to those who aren't comfortable talking with their kids about it.
annaica
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:00 PM

at my elementary (4th grade) we were taught all the anatomy and about periods and briefly got into childbirth during our ONE day of sex-ed...  But breastfeeding could be added to all that, I just think it should all be spread out maybe a week or more.

Quoting jean_marie1987:

Quoting mama-smurf:

annaica
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I completely agree :)

Quoting corkysunshine:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN