Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Why can't I just be confident? Update with weight!

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:41 PM
  • 24 Replies

I swear I am turning into one of those moms who swears the don't make enough milk. Ds is 9 days old. He has the bare minimum diapers. He had only regained an oz in 5 days. He lost over a pound. He will be weighed again tomorrow so hopefully it has gone up. I doubt he will be back to birth weight by the 2 week mark though. I have had no engorgment or leaking. I don't feel let down. I am freaking myself out. Anyone have these problems and it all work out? Also his poop is just brown liquid with no texture. Just as if it were water. I remember his sisters being goopy but she did have supplements of formula.

UPDATE

He was weighed this after noon and he was up to 9lbs 11oz so he gained 4 oz in 4 days. I am still worried becasue of how much he cries but at least I know I am not starving him now. 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this
First, one diaper is the equivalent of 4 tablespoons of water in a diaper. More than that counts as two and poopy counts as two.
Second, gain shouldn't be expected until the second week. Depending on the amount of loss in week one, birth weight might not be expected by two weeks. A minimum gain of 4 ounces from the lowest weight should be all that is expected.
Keep nursing on demand, watch diapers, and try not to worry. (((HUGS)))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BennyBaby09
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:09 PM
I agree with the above poster. It's important to remember that if you had an iv fluids during labor it could inflate birth weight making any weight loss seem more significant than it actually is.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Paradys
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Make sure you're drinking enough water and try eating some steel cut oats.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsbrand
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:18 PM

It takes time to get that confidence of "I know I've got this" Hes only 9 days old, you're doing great. If really stressing look up some galactagogues (SP?) Check kelly mom on that I'm sorry I can't remember them any more. There is a delicious cookie recipe and I LOVED mothers milk tea. 

NowImAMom...
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:24 PM

My son wasn't back to birth weight until he was a month old, and he's still nursing at almost 9 months old- almost exclusively too. PPs had good stuff to say. Just relax and nurse mama :)

melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:26 PM
4oz a week from lowest weight.
xredstarsx
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Thank you. 4 oz seems much more doable. Is it normal to not ever get engorged though? With dd I got engorged easily and leaked all the time.

Quoting aehanrahan:

First, one diaper is the equivalent of 4 tablespoons of water in a diaper. More than that counts as two and poopy counts as two.

Second, gain shouldn't be expected until the second week. Depending on the amount of loss in week one, birth weight might not be expected by two weeks. A minimum gain of 4 ounces from the lowest weight should be all that is expected.

Keep nursing on demand, watch diapers, and try not to worry. (((HUGS)))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BennyBaby09
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:23 PM
It's less likely the second time around, in my experience, especially if you had them closer together. Your body tends to "remember" hence why you get bigger faster with the second pregnancy
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Tell me a bit more:

Is he jaundiced?

How many times is he nursing in 24 hrs?

How many poops in 24 hrs (only counts if it is at least as big as a quarter)?

Did you have IV fluids during labor?

How does his latch feel? Is he hurting or damaging your nipples?

Know that if it turns out that he is not getting enough milk, the FIRST thing to do is to pump and supplement with your own milk, then you figure out why he wasn't getting enough and fix it.

holly85
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:32 PM
I did not have the encouragement/leaking issues I had with my first the second time around. I think stress is one of the worst things for your supply. Relax :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN