Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding after C-Section or Tubal Ligation??

Posted by   + Show Post

I am hoping to not have to have a c-section but I know that it's always a possibility.  If I do end up with one, I'll have my tubes tied right then but if not, I can schedule to go in the next day for the procedure.  My concern about breastfeeding is the pain meds post surgery.  How did you that had csections or tubals after delivery handle that critical time of feeding/bonding with baby?  It doesn't take much medicine to knock me out as it is, so I know I'll be out for a while on post-op dosages! I don't want to jeopardize that time with my new baby or risk delaying my milk coming in.  Any tips are greatly appreciated!

BabyFetus Ticker
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:37 AM
I've had 3 sections and nursed after each one. Once I was able to move my feet in recovery my baby was brought to me and I nursed. For pain I was given Percocet and ibuprofen. Those are both safe to take while nursing.
Also I found my boppy to be a huge PITA. I just used regular pillows instead and propped them where I needed them b
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:43 AM
Is there specific concerns of a section?
Proper management of labor and delivery drops your bf rates to very low chances.
SweeetPeaa
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:46 PM
I had an emergency c section. I didn't get to hold my daughter after four hours. I am/ was blessed that i was able to breast feed my baby with no issues what so ever. I know a couple of females who were able to breast feed an nd having a c section, but then drying up. All depends on your body.
MaskedMomma
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:20 PM

my milk actualy came in early, and they give you meds that are ok to BF with, and when your laying in the recovery room after your c-section they'll bring the baby in, let SO hold her, then lay her on your chest and let you BF.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:21 PM
This except I had 2 C-sections. I was knocked out during my first because the epidural was wearing off and I could feel everything. I didn't see my soon for 4 hours but had no issues with nursing him.
My second was planned and my baby was brought to me as soon as I got into recovery. The nurse helped me roll to my side since I was still numb.
I agree about the pillows.

Quoting shortyali:

I've had 3 sections and nursed after each one. Once I was able to move my feet in recovery my baby was brought to me and I nursed. For pain I was given Percocet and ibuprofen. Those are both safe to take while nursing.

Also I found my boppy to be a huge PITA. I just used regular pillows instead and propped them where I needed them b
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MoeksieNature
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:58 AM

My water broke at 11pm and I delivered via C-Section at 2am. Because she was delivered at 34 weeks she was rushed to the NICU. I was pretty much knocked out for the whole day, apparently they slipped me a sleeping pill. So I only saw her briefly that evening and my milk didn't come in for days... I believe it is because I had to pump. But none the less 11 days later our breastfeeding relationship was 100%. She was NEVER offered a bottle and definitely NO formula, because that's how our NICU operated. Don't get stressed out about it now. Rather take it as it comes and deal with the obstacles then.

imablowe
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I have had 3 prior c-sections and with my last one I had a tubal ligation.  After delivery I did not get to breastfeed right away with any delivery.  The nurses always said the baby needed formula for their sugar levels because all of my babies were 9 lbs.  But after a few hours I was able to successfully feed and everything was good.  I did not have any difficulty with pain medicines and feeding or the tubes tying.  I am 7 weeks post partum and everything is fine.  Also, I always feed using the football position so they were never on my incision.

sobrill
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM

The first thing to do is to identify what meds are going to be used; then you can ask your prenatal provider if they have a publication named "Medications & Mother's Milk" or go to Thomas Hale, PhD website via googling each or both the book or the name and find out how this drug behaves in the bloodstream and the milk, and how long it takes to metabolize out and risks to the baby. I would ask your docs to work with you, to make sure there is provision for you to be the mother you want to be from get-go. And talk to a lactation consultant.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Dr. Hale's website is infantrisk.org. There is a hotline that can be called to get the exact information that is in the book.

Quoting sobrill:

The first thing to do is to identify what meds are going to be used; then you can ask your prenatal provider if they have a publication named "Medications & Mother's Milk" or go to Thomas Hale, PhD website via googling each or both the book or the name and find out how this drug behaves in the bloodstream and the milk, and how long it takes to metabolize out and risks to the baby. I would ask your docs to work with you, to make sure there is provision for you to be the mother you want to be from get-go. And talk to a lactation consultant.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I had a csection and it didn't effect my feeding or bonding time at all. My daughter was brought to my room immedicately after i was taken out of recovery which was less than an hour after her birth. I had a lot of pain after the Demerol shot wore off but it was well controlled with round the clock Percocets for about 72 hours. Generally you aren't knocked out for the surgery and you don't feel woozy from the anesthesia. Most likely you will not have to have a section though.....good luck mama! 

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
    other members!
    Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN