Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How old was your baby when he/she self weened off the breast. My son started solids about a week and a half ago and now he isn't as interested in the breast. He only gets a tablespoon a day 3x a day and the goal was so he wasn't attached all day every day, now it seams he only nurses to go to sleep...I am worried he may be starting to self ween....How old was your little one when they self weened and is there anything I can do to stop him if this is what he is doing.

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Replies (11-20):
Travelbugg
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:35 AM
I would certainly read the article above very closely if you want to be sure and keep him nursing well. My son went on strike at 9.5 months and I was not able to get him back to the breast. He never once took a bottle with me in the room, never once with a fast flow, and we nursed VERY well before it happened. In retrospect I believe the "don't offer, don't refuse" that I had started practicing at night, probably played a part. We basically night weaned... And then at 8 months he refused bottles and we went to the sippy. And THAT I was letting him drink from around me. I thought that since he sipped and didn't suck it wouldn't play a part... I was overly confident in our breastfeeding relationship. Luckily he's still getting mamas milk via the pump, but from my own experience a babe that refuses to nurse when mama is not ready to stop... Well it's heartbreaking. Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:36 AM
2 moms liked this

4mo is too young... doesn't matter if you make it yourself or not.   3x a day is also WAY too much.   DD is 7 mo and has been  on solids for one mo and she's not even having solids everyday... let alone 3 Times a day!

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

His dr said it was fine plus i make my own and make them with Breast Milk. My dd never ate this much

Quoting jjchick75:

4 months is too young for solids, so I would say drop the solids all together. Babies nurse alot. Breastmilk isn't like formula. It's digest faster and more completely than formula so they need to nurse more. They also have small tummies. Solids is not the answer to that. He needs the nutrition rich breastmilk, not solids that his body is not ready to digest and therefore are useless to him. 

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

my ds is 4 months old but wanted to nurse 24-7 and I jsut couldn't do that. i do try to nurse right before solids and he usually takes actually as i type this he is trying to attack me....maybe this is a sign things are better and he just wasn't feeling good....

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Mama_Of_Two2012
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh well thats ur child not mine. He is doing great with them and doesnt always finish the container. I let him guide me on what he wants to eat. And today hes been spitting up a lot so we only did solids once. I talked to his dr and my LC before starting and we all made a plan that works. Im hoping his lack of nursing was cuz hr wasny feeling good

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

4mo is too young... doesn't matter if you make it yourself or not.   3x a day is also WAY too much.   DD is 7 mo and has been  on solids for one mo and she's not even having solids everyday... let alone 3 Times a day!

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

His dr said it was fine plus i make my own and make them with Breast Milk. My dd never ate this much

Quoting jjchick75:

4 months is too young for solids, so I would say drop the solids all together. Babies nurse alot. Breastmilk isn't like formula. It's digest faster and more completely than formula so they need to nurse more. They also have small tummies. Solids is not the answer to that. He needs the nutrition rich breastmilk, not solids that his body is not ready to digest and therefore are useless to him. 

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

my ds is 4 months old but wanted to nurse 24-7 and I jsut couldn't do that. i do try to nurse right before solids and he usually takes actually as i type this he is trying to attack me....maybe this is a sign things are better and he just wasn't feeling good....

littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:05 AM
6 moms liked this

Please know that these ladies want the best for your baby, too. It sounds like your doctor has given you misinformation. Even the current up to date recommendations from the AAP state that babies should only receive breastmilk (or formula) exclusively until 6 months. A lot of doctors are not up to date with research and recommendations, although they should be. Another note: a serving of solids at 6 months old is ONE TEASPOON. You are over feeding solids, not to mention introducing them way too early. I know I sound like just another judgemental jerk, but we are giving you this information because it matters. Please do what's best for baby and lay off the solids until he is at least six months. Solids are for fun the first year. Breastmilk (or formula, if you go that route) should make up at least 75% of diet until baby reaches one year old. Nurse immediately before any solids are offered and you can be sure that baby will be getting the nutrition he needs.

As for my personal experience, I introduced solids at 6 months, but dd wasn't really interested until 9 months. Even still, she didn't want solids throughout the day until 11.5 months, when it seemed like she couldn't get enough. I encouraged weaning when she was 23 months, as my milk had dried up due to pregnancy. She's now an active healthy 2.5 yr old with no problems eating food. She has a well varied diet and is not picky. 

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:26 AM
3 moms liked this

Not it isn't her child but you came here asking a  question and we gave you an answer. Your baby is too young to be recieveing solids, let alone the amount he is getting. That is why he isn't nursing as much, you are filling him up on solids and that isn't good. We aren't trying to rude or judgemental, only giving you the facts.  

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

Oh well thats ur child not mine. He is doing great with them and doesnt always finish the container. I let him guide me on what he wants to eat. And today hes been spitting up a lot so we only did solids once. I talked to his dr and my LC before starting and we all made a plan that works. Im hoping his lack of nursing was cuz hr wasny feeling good

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

Quoting jjchick75:

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:28 AM
Check this link out: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/solids-how/

That's from kellymom about introducing solids. I personally love the chart in the middle of the page. It gives you a break down on what to be feeding baby and how much. She's an IBCLC so I would trust that over my Ped when it comes to infant nutrition.

ETA: my DD self weaned at 22 months, I believe she would have nursed longer but I was 3 months pregnant and my milk changed.
Mama_Of_Two2012
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:03 AM
I asked about self weening not your thoughts on me giving my baby solids. Funny i bet if u did a pole and asked ur parents and all their friends when they started solids i bet they would say 4-6 months. And then ask them if they believed in co-sleeping, baby lead solids or ne of that they'd say they never heard of it

Quoting jjchick75:

Not it isn't her child but you came here asking a  question and we gave you an answer. Your baby is too young to be recieveing solids, let alone the amount he is getting. That is why he isn't nursing as much, you are filling him up on solids and that isn't good. We aren't trying to rude or judgemental, only giving you the facts.  

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

Quoting jjchick75:

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

MonicaV1982
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:24 AM
3 moms liked this

Here's the thing. Solids decrease nursing frequency because babies take in a certain volume per day whether breast milk, formula, or solids. We are mentioning this because plays a roll. When baby is getting mostly solids the breasts regulate to the diminished nursing and tailor the supply to what is being taken out. The fact of the matter is that your child is not "self-weaning." You are leading him to wean by giving too many solids.

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

I asked about self weening not your thoughts on me giving my baby solids. Funny i bet if u did a pole and asked ur parents and all their friends when they started solids i bet they would say 4-6 months. And then ask them if they believed in co-sleeping, baby lead solids or ne of that they'd say they never heard of it

Quoting jjchick75:

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

Quoting jjchick75:

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

Mama_Of_Two2012
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:50 AM
Well if that's the case how come all day yesterday he got no solids but still wasn't interested?????

Quoting MonicaV1982:

Here's the thing. Solids decrease nursing frequency because babies take in a certain volume per day whether breast milk, formula, or solids. We are mentioning this because plays a roll. When baby is getting mostly solids the breasts regulate to the diminished nursing and tailor the supply to what is being taken out. The fact of the matter is that your child is not "self-weaning." You are leading him to wean by giving too many solids.

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

Quoting jjchick75:

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

Quoting jjchick75:

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

Mama_Of_Two2012
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:50 AM
Well if that's the case how come all day yesterday he got no solids but still wasn't interested?????

Quoting MonicaV1982:

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

Quoting jjchick75:

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

Quoting jjchick75:

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN