Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pumping Inquiry... I Could Use Some Help...

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:54 PM
  • 30 Replies

Hey ladies... I have been part of this group since I joined CM a few months ago, but I haven't posted, I have just been reading the posts as time has went on.

My little guy was born at the beginning of this month, and we have been successfully EBF since he entered the world. I live in a very rural area, where for instance the nearest Walmart is 100 miles away (no exaggeration.) I decided to buy a pump, for the times we are traveling to go shop, see family, whatever have you. It should be here this week. 

My question(s) is/are, since we are EBF, when is the best time for me to pump? He is going through a spurt at the moment, so he eats about every no more than 1.5 hours all day long, and about 2 throughout the night. We feed on demand. Also, when I am going to feed him pumped milk, I have a cold bag with ice packs in it, if the milk is coming out of the freezer, what is the best way to thaw it out? Also, when I am going to give him a bottle, do I just give it to him the temperature out of the cold bag? Or should I try to postpone the feeding until we say arrive at a gas station  to warm it up, if I warm it, how long? And lastly, how much should expect him to eat at each feeding, so I can figure the accurate amount to bring?

Thank you so much in advance for your help ladies, I appreciate it more than you know :)

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:22 PM
3 moms liked this

BEST time to pump is FIRST thing in the morning, pump one side while he nurses the other.

YOU should never feed him pumped milk, he should never eveere get a bottle when you can physically nurse.  If that means you haev to stop somewhere and nurse do ti.  MOMS giving bottles is a bad thing.

Best way to thaw milk is under running warm water or in the fridge overnight.  Milk should be warmed when fed but some babies are ok with chilled.  NO microwaving!!  Babies should take about 1-1.25 oz an hour and bottls should be based on how long he goes between feeds.

Let me say this again though...PLEASE dont give bottles while out WITH baby...otherwise not only will baby start to prefer bottles and expect you to give them but you will also have to pump at the same time he gets the bottle...pumping is public is way harder to do than nurse in public.

Why not NURSE when you stpo at the gas station instead of warm up a bottle?

melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:25 PM
3 moms liked this
Congrats on your little one!
Best time to pump would be after baby is 4-6 weeks old. Once in the morning while baby nurses on the other side.
Thaw it in the fridge.
depends on the child. My kids won't drink cold milk.
Average of an oz an hr in bottles no larger then 3oz every 2.5-3hrs. Slow flow bottles. Burping every ounce
Remember when baby takes a bottle you need to pump at the same time.
Imo, I know you didn't ask :) bringing a cooler, pump, baby diaper bag. Heating the milk, bottle feeding, pumping, cleaning up is just so much work. it would be easier to just nurse at the gas station, car, friends house etc. it'll be faster and easier
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I can relate to your geographic situation! I live in a small town in the mountains, only I have it easy: my nearest WalMart is only an hour away. Anything more than that and it is close to a 2 hour drive. We have a small local market and hardware store but that's about it.

I have three kids, all breastfed. I never pumped for trips like that. It is a huge pain in the butt. It is so much easier to do your traveling and shopping, and stop and breastfeed whenever you need to. 

Save pumping/bottle feeding for if you need to be separated from baby.

mrs.mama5
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this

If you have to give a bottle at any point it is better if your so give bottle. my lo is 9 weeks old, she has only had a bottle twice,both time her daddy fed her. I warm my frozen milk in warm water, but is better if you can give fresh milk,.i think about 2 1/2 ozs every 2 hours but every baby is different. good luck.

mommyintrain23
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:45 PM

That is another reason we were getting the pump... he is coming up on 3 weeks, and I know eventually the hubs and I will want to go out and have some time to ourselves for a few hours. How would I heat the bm than? And would I still pump if we were out when the baby would be eating?

Quoting maggiemom2000:

I can relate to your geographic situation! I live in a small town in the mountains, only I have it easy: my nearest WalMart is only an hour away. Anything more than that and it is close to a 2 hour drive. We have a small local market and hardware store but that's about it.

I have three kids, all breastfed. I never pumped for trips like that. It is a huge pain in the butt. It is so much easier to do your traveling and shopping, and stop and breastfeed whenever you need to. 

mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

THIS

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

BEST time to pump is FIRST thing in the morning, pump one side while he nurses the other.

YOU should never feed him pumped milk, he should never eveere get a bottle when you can physically nurse.  If that means you haev to stop somewhere and nurse do ti.  MOMS giving bottles is a bad thing.

Best way to thaw milk is under running warm water or in the fridge overnight.  Milk should be warmed when fed but some babies are ok with chilled.  NO microwaving!!  Babies should take about 1-1.25 oz an hour and bottls should be based on how long he goes between feeds.

Let me say this again though...PLEASE dont give bottles while out WITH baby...otherwise not only will baby start to prefer bottles and expect you to give them but you will also have to pump at the same time he gets the bottle...pumping is public is way harder to do than nurse in public.

Why not NURSE when you stpo at the gas station instead of warm up a bottle?

BabyFruit Ticker

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Heating is done best by running under warm water or using a bottle wamer.  YES if you miss feeds you MUST pump.

Quoting mommyintrain23:

That is another reason we were getting the pump... he is coming up on 3 weeks, and I know eventually the hubs and I will want to go out and have some time to ourselves for a few hours. How would I heat the bm than? And would I still pump if we were out when the baby would be eating?

Quoting maggiemom2000:

mommyintrain23
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:57 PM

And this may be a dumb question, but why do people "pump and dump" like I keep reading? Is that if you have a cocktail or something?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Mostly out of ignorance! Pumping & dumping is in most cases NOT necessary at all! As far as drinking...safe to drive=safe to nurse. I used to drink a beer WHILE nursing, that way by the time he was ready to eat again the alcohol was out of my system.

Quoting mommyintrain23:

And this may be a dumb question, but why do people "pump and dump" like I keep reading? Is that if you have a cocktail or something?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

BabyFruit Ticker

mommyintrain23
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:07 PM

That makes sense. I keep seeing it everywhere and couldn't figure out if it was because they drank way too much or were just producing too much, so instead of saving it they threw it away...

Quoting mamabens:

Mostly out of ignorance! Pumping & dumping is in most cases NOT necessary at all! As far as drinking...safe to drive=safe to nurse. I used to drink a beer WHILE nursing, that way by the time he was ready to eat again the alcohol was out of my system.

Quoting mommyintrain23:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN