Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding is only for people who can't afford formula

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:18 PM
  • 49 Replies

Really??!! This was a comment from one of Parenting magazines facebook fans. They printed it in there article called judgement day about mom's judgine each other. Maybe I am being judgemental but that comment is ridiculous. I can understand some ff moms might feel judged by pro-breastfeeding moms but to make comments like this is crazy. I try not to judge too much but I do wish if people can bf than bf is best but it doesn't make a mom horrible if she doesn't. So why lash out? If anything I could see someone saying the opposite which is not the case either. But moms that are eligible for assistance may be pushed torawards ff with all the free formula and stuff they get. If both parents have to work 9forced not by choice) it can be harder to pump. But plenty of working mom's can afford awesome pumps and have opportunities to pump often with great jobs. Plenty of moms on assistance choose to breastfeed. I think to say that it is because people cannot afford formula is ignorant. Formula is not better for baby because it cost money. 

I just wanted to add that it wasn't the magazine saying it. They put a little feature on the bottom with comments from there facebook page. 

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:20 PM
8 moms liked this

I refuse to read parents magazine or subscribe to it because it's full of BS. I bf instead of ff for many reasons, one being it was free & the main one being I'm to dang lazy to ff. lol

BabyFruit Ticker

AJnEsMama
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Well they did say the comment was off base. Some info makes it seem like you have to do everything they say to be a good parent. But I like reading some stuff especially when they interview psychologists and doctors since I don't have many doctors to choose from here. I get you on being to lazy to ff, same here lol. People say the opposite but I think ff is harder unless you need or want to be away from baby a lot. But I don't agree with the commentor that all breastfeeding moms only do it becasue they are cheap or can't afford formula. I do like to save but if I was able to get wic or something I would get free formula. So it doesn't make sense to me.  I didn't do it the second time around just to save money. I bought a pump and things the first time so I spent money on it that was wasted since I never really used it. I did use my pillow a lot the first time.

turttlemom
by Nayelli on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Ha-ha, I can say in my particular case, I can afford formula, in my country as working mom my work insurance give my son free formula after 6 months, I'm also fighting for extended pumping breaks period at work because they just allow me to do it for 6 month because of the free formula, but I preferred give him the best and keep that money I can save from Bfing to give my son other things.

In the other hand my SIL how doesn't work and could bfed more instead of combo and then just ff because they can afford it and some times even the free one was enough for her kid she decide to eff.

AJnEsMama
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I just think it is crazy to say that is the only reason people do it. Your expample proves others do it for different reasons like health. I don't know if I could pump because I didn't have any luck with it. It just caused more stress since my dd nursed every hour for months. I know many moms are successful. Maybe if I had a good pump I wouldn't mind. Plus my second went two hours. Good luck, I hope you get to continue doing what you want. I hope you can get longer breaks. I would rather buy other things too like clothes, outings, toys and things. That is a good point.

chrtymcdnl
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

No its because we are poor. NOT because we care about the health of our babies.

I have seen the difference that breastmilk makes compared to ff babies. 

My daughter has NEVER been ARTIFICIALLY fed. She got the real thing because she deserves all the benefits of HER breast milk.

Jstoddard98
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this

That's such a stupid comment. I did a combo of breast feeding and formula feeding- I hated having to use formula because breast milk is so much better for baby and free!  Given the choice I would have used all breast milk and spent my formula money elsewhere!  I'm so sick of the bf/formula war though!  Mom's making moms feel bad or inferior or inadequate. I think we should all focus on our own children and let others do the same :). As long as kids are happy, healthy and getting fed- that is really all that matters!

BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:12 PM
2 moms liked this
That's WHY breast feeding is so taboo and frowned upon. They were told for years that formula was better, so the only reason to bf was if they couldn't afford formula! It was a class thing! Only the poor breast fed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AJnEsMama
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I never knew that. My mom promoted it for health reasons and my dh wanted me to for the same reasons. I never thought about it like that. I was thinking it would be harder for mom's with less money. Because now they have to work at jobs that do not allow them breaks. But it makes sense because some older people think it is gross. I guess it was another casulty of industrialization and commercialization. 

Quoting BabyPink07:

That's WHY breast feeding is so taboo and frowned upon. They were told for years that formula was better, so the only reason to bf was if they couldn't afford formula! It was a class thing! Only the poor breast fed.

BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Yup! My father was fed a condensed milk/ sugar combo because his doc told my grandmother that breast milk was like water and had little nutritional value. The breast is best will catch on! It will just take time.

Quoting AJnEsMama:

I never knew that. My mom promoted it for health reasons and my dh wanted me to for the same reasons. I never thought about it like that. I was thinking it would be harder for mom's with less money. Because now they have to work at jobs that do not allow them breaks. But it makes sense because some older people think it is gross. I guess it was another casulty of industrialization and commercialization. 

Quoting BabyPink07:

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Unfortunately some think this way. I nevered liked parenting magazine either.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN