Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is this true?? Sorry, long post...

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:49 PM
  • 31 Replies
I took my son for his 1yr checkup today & the dr was concerned about his weight. No surprise there since all 4 of my kids are on the small side & always considered "underweight" for their age. Usually she's not concerned since they grow/gain on their own scale, not what is considered "normal". Anyways, @9 mos he was 16 lbs & today he weighed the same.

He nurses on demand( up until a couple of months ago, he was EBF), no table food ( he has had reactions to common foods & we actually had blood drawn today to test for food allergies)& will only eat the Graduates pouches, the ones that they suck out. He will have one of those 1-3 xs/day. He won't eat anything from a spoon either.

The dr then tells me it's probably due to my milk. She said even though I'm still producing "enough", it doesn't have the needed calories that my baby needs right now. Said he needs Pedisure & gave me some to try @ home. Oh, also said he was anemic.

I thought my milk changed with baby?? I'm confused, should I push more foods & less milk?? I'm not in any hurry to wean nor do I think he'll let me!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jendigme
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

It is not your milk. Handing you Pediasure at 12 months is no different than her handing you formula at 4 months.

The fact that he has stopped growing and is anemic is a concern. These were my soms exact symptoms (only he was 17 lbs at 9 months, and at a year, and at 18 months...) and he was eventually diagnosed with Celiac disease.

With yoru concerns about allergies, it could be something like that. A food allergy can affect growth as well.

The big difference however, is that my son was eating really well at that age (it just all went right through him).

He many just be anemic and stopped gaining because he is getting low calorie solids that are not high in iron.

I don't think you should be any more concerned than you already were wanting to try and figure out allergies. It is not totally uncommong for their growth to stall at this age.

What you should do is wait for the allergy results, and give it a little more time. Meanwhile:

Keep nursing on demand. The more breastmilk the better.

Keep offering foods. Offer finger foods and try and offer him some foods that are naturally high in iron, like meat. Meat is also pretty low on the allergen list. Small bits of cooked ground beef that he can pick up and self feed, or soft little pieces of pot roast. You can actually scrape a pice of steak with a sharp knife and get some meat "mush" and cook that and offer it.

TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Exactly this!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

It is not your milk. Handing you Pediasure at 12 months is no different than her handing you formula at 4 months.

The fact that he has stopped growing and is anemic is a concern. These were my soms exact symptoms (only he was 17 lbs at 9 months, and at a year, and at 18 months...) and he was eventually diagnosed with Celiac disease.

With yoru concerns about allergies, it could be something like that. A food allergy can affect growth as well.

The big difference however, is that my son was eating really well at that age (it just all went right through him).

He many just be anemic and stopped gaining because he is getting low calorie solids that are not high in iron.

I don't think you should be any more concerned than you already were wanting to try and figure out allergies. It is not totally uncommong for their growth to stall at this age.

What you should do is wait for the allergy results, and give it a little more time. Meanwhile:

Keep nursing on demand. The more breastmilk the better.

Keep offering foods. Offer finger foods and try and offer him some foods that are naturally high in iron, like meat. Meat is also pretty low on the allergen list. Small bits of cooked ground beef that he can pick up and self feed, or soft little pieces of pot roast. You can actually scrape a pice of steak with a sharp knife and get some meat "mush" and cook that and offer it.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not wean at all. I know some babies once they start crawling and walking don't gain rapidly like they use to, its because they are so actve, especially the ones who crawl and walk earlier. Are you concerned about his weight at all? If you are than maybe check to see if something else is going on, weaning isn't necessary, it may actually cause more problems actually imo. However since he is one you can add more fatty foods, like avocado, to his diet. Also black strap molasses is a great source for iron. I would stay away from the fake stuff personally.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:39 PM

oh yeah, and another one of my friends would give her son a little bit of mashed up liver (high in iron), and he would take it, you can make a paste from it.

catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Quoting TiffanyMarie80: Exactly this!
Quoting maggiemom2000: He many just be anemic and stopped gaining because he is getting low calorie solids that are not high in iron. I don't think you should be any more concerned than you already were wanting to try and figure out allergies. It is not totally uncommong for their growth to stall at this age. What you should do is wait for the allergy results, and give it a little more time. Meanwhile: Keep nursing on demand. The more breastmilk the better. Keep offering foods. Offer finger foods and try and offer him some foods that are naturally high in iron, like meat. Meat is also pretty low on the allergen list. Small bits of cooked ground beef that he can pick up and self feed, or soft little pieces of pot roast. You can actually scrape a pice of steak with a sharp knife and get some meat "mush" and cook that and offer it.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

Lullababy
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:58 PM
The pouches, are they mainly fruit?
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:45 PM

NOT TRUE.

Doc is 100% incorrect. 

skylarkdancer
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:51 PM
I went through the exact same thing. Dr. Said the same.thing except had me supplement.with a goat's milk formula I made at home. My dd was 10 months old.
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Your milk is supposed to change with your baby's growing needs. How do you know he is Anemic? If he wont eat from a spoon then let him feed himself. make it into a game for him. Good luck I hope things get better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN