Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast is best!

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:35 PM
  • 14 Replies

I just had my bundle of joy yesterday at 7:19 pm!! He was 8lbs 8oz and 21 1/2 inches long! He's a big boy! I have so far found out breast feeding hurts like hell! Maybe it's just me?! But, I'm going to continue and stick through it because breast is best! Anyone one else have pain while breast feeding but latching perfectly? 

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Oh man, you would have Hated to be me in the begining!! I had overactive let down which made my son have a shallow latch and that cracked my nipples to the point they were bleeding. I also have reynaulds so when my nipples got damaged I would get verry painful Vasospasms. IT WAS HORRIBLE for like the first 3 months!! But im so verry glad I didnt give up! I love the bond, & I love all the benifits for both me and him,  Congrats on your new baby & just remind yourself it gets better!

MaMaLaLa78
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:08 AM

I must say my breastfeeding relationship was rocky for the first two months.  I had a major over supply issue, sensitive nipples, and that tiny baby mouth didn't help much.  I stuck to it, and I never quit- it sucked for two months, but then it was bliss.  I am so glad I didn't give up- so glad my hubby (who I told, to not let me quit) was supportive but firm with me- "Just try it one more day...one more week...one more month."  

Take it day by day and know you are in good company here.  

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:53 AM
Describe the pain that you're experiencing. Does it last throughout the whole feeding or does it go away after the initial latch? If it goes away, it is normal and will subside within a few days to a few weeks. If it lasts through the feeding, the latch is NOT perfect and needs to be corrected. Has he been checked for a tongue tie?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pamela.V.Shoe
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:19 AM

What is over active let down?

Quoting PolishMamma2:

Oh man, you would have Hated to be me in the begining!! I had overactive let down which made my son have a shallow latch and that cracked my nipples to the point they were bleeding. I also have reynaulds so when my nipples got damaged I would get verry painful Vasospasms. IT WAS HORRIBLE for like the first 3 months!! But im so verry glad I didnt give up! I love the bond, & I love all the benifits for both me and him,  Congrats on your new baby & just remind yourself it gets better!

Pamela.V.Shoe
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Congratulations on you new addition! I just had my 1st DD in March and it seems as if only yesterday I pulled her up to my chest for skin to skin and was amazed by her literally crawling in search for my breast. You are not alone!  It is something your breast will have to get use to. Theoretically if baby has a perfect latch there should be no pain but like anything babies do I think that with practice they become better.  In the begining I was in so much pain I walked around toppless for over a month.  The irreplacable bond I experianced with my DD surpasted the pain I felt.

On another note, not only is BM good for baby but it has awesome properties which work wonders for other things such as diaper rash, eczema rashes, and amongst other things they help heal your raw nipples. I use to rub a couple of drops all over them let it dry and they rub the Lanolin. Some people like to use it others don't.  I didn't feel like it worked for me, I prefered the BM but I got like 8 tubes of it at my baby shower.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:05 AM
If it hurts past the initial latch then the naby is not latching correctly no matter what the nurse says. Have them check for tongue/lip ties
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Denisethedaring
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Yep, with my first and last babies--not so much with my second baby.  Nipples just aren't used to that kind of abuse at first. :)  But they do get used to it in a few weeks or so!

mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Congrats on your baby. I'd have a IBCLC check latch & baby for tongue tie to make sure. Some pain & uncomfortableness can be normal but not everyone has pain.

BabyFruit Ticker

shoot4thestars
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:32 AM

I did.  The nurses said everything we were doing was right, but it still hurt like hell up until the middle of last week, which would have been 3 1/2 weeks for me.  This is week 4, and everything's going smoothly, except for maybe a mild case of thrush....ugh!!

melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:58 AM
Congrats on the newbie!!!!!!
Initial pain with latching can be normal, if it's happening throughout the feeding baby isn't latched properly.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)