Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I just had my bundle of joy yesterday at 7:19 pm!! He was 8lbs 8oz and 21 1/2 inches long! He's a big boy! I have so far found out breast feeding hurts like hell! Maybe it's just me?! But, I'm going to continue and stick through it because breast is best! Anyone one else have pain while breast feeding but latching perfectly? 

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Replies (11-14):
lizzieiguana
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I whiled away 2.5 months for my firstborn boy. Thinking now he may have had tongue tie that he grew out of. It was awful! But, I knew breast was the best to give him, and even wound up going later than most people with it before starting solids!

As long as he is getting food - that's the best. When you figure out how to make it more comfortable for you wihtout disturbing your supply, that's when it's better!

Don't switch too often - he needs to get the hind milk which has all that lovely brain-feeding fat in it!

So have him checked for tongue-tie - can have forward or in back - and make sure your nipple is ENTIRELY in his mouth. don't let him nurse like he is sipping a straw.

more but my babies call!

PolishMamma2
by Marta on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Over Active Letdown is when the glands in your breast release too much milk at once, and when the baby sucks its mouth gets flooded with milk. So then the baby will either choke & caugh or pull off and scream...

Quoting Pamela.V.Shoe:

What is over active let down?

Quoting PolishMamma2:

Oh man, you would have Hated to be me in the begining!! I had overactive let down which made my son have a shallow latch and that cracked my nipples to the point they were bleeding. I also have reynaulds so when my nipples got damaged I would get verry painful Vasospasms. IT WAS HORRIBLE for like the first 3 months!! But im so verry glad I didnt give up! I love the bond, & I love all the benifits for both me and him,  Congrats on your new baby & just remind yourself it gets better!

Mama-Doe
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Keep with it and use some lanolin.  Both you and your baby have to learn how to nurse.  Your nipples will toughen up and you will love it! Congrats!

Pamela.V.Shoe
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I had that problem when I 1st started...didn't know it had an actual name. SHe would latch and take HUGE gulps and then she would detatch and a stream of milk would hit her face and when one would go so would the other side. :( Such a MESS!

Quoting PolishMamma2:

Over Active Letdown is when the glands in your breast release too much milk at once, and when the baby sucks its mouth gets flooded with milk. So then the baby will either choke & caugh or pull off and scream...

Quoting Pamela.V.Shoe:

What is over active let down?

Quoting PolishMamma2:

Oh man, you would have Hated to be me in the begining!! I had overactive let down which made my son have a shallow latch and that cracked my nipples to the point they were bleeding. I also have reynaulds so when my nipples got damaged I would get verry painful Vasospasms. IT WAS HORRIBLE for like the first 3 months!! But im so verry glad I didnt give up! I love the bond, & I love all the benifits for both me and him,  Congrats on your new baby & just remind yourself it gets better!

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN