Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Can i put vicks vaporrub on my feet while breastfeeding?

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:22 AM
  • 6 Replies

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jendigme
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:05 AM
Not sure, here's s bump. Just curious....what does it do for your feet?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Cold and Allergy Remedies Compatible with Breastfeeding : KellyMom

Do not use peppermint oil or menthol (one of the main components in peppermint oil) or camphor on or near the breast where baby might ingest it, and do not apply directly on the skin of a baby or young child. There have been cases where the direct application of menthol or camphor products (for example, Vicks VapoRub™) to baby’s skin resulted in severe breathing difficulties or liver problems (see info on colds and congestion in baby).

staciandababy
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:54 AM
I read that but I guess I miss understood. The foot is extremely far from the breast and not the baby so it should be okay?

Confusing lol.

My feet are screaming at me and I am sick. I don't know why but I just had the urge to do it. I have always heard it made colds go away.
Starshine-bela
by Leah on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:59 AM
Personally, I would err on the side of caution. But that's me and I tend to be overly cautious. Hope you feel better
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:05 AM

I've done it with no issues. I wouldn't put it on my chest wile bfing but on the feet with socks over shouldn't hurt. I have done it several times while nursing & now while pregnant.

BabyFruit Ticker

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I use Maty's baby chest rub because it doesn't contain menthol or petroleum products.  If you cosleep, I wouldn't put any vicks on your feet because baby may end up breathing those vapors; otherwise you're probably fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN