Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

IUD -OT

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:46 PM
  • 25 Replies
So I wenr to my 39 week appt and I hace to decide between 2 different type of birth control and I wanted everyones opinion if they use them and such. Idk which to pick lol. I have to choose between Mirena and Paraguard. Also, im hoping they dont interfere with breastfeeding.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kimbyann
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this
My sister and two friends both have mirena. Their boyfriends/husband gets poked. That's all I know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momdays
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I had Mirena for 2 1/2 years. It was amazing BC. I'd heard that the hormones in it are contained to the uterus. My DH never got poked or felt it at all.

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:34 PM
What about breastfeeding? Does it interfere?

Quoting momdays:

I had Mirena for 2 1/2 years. It was amazing BC. I'd heard that the hormones in it are contained to the uterus. My DH never got poked or felt it at all.

momdays
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Thats what I meant about the hormones. I'd heard hormonal BC can affect breast feeding. Did your OB tell you anything about it? I don't know a whole bunch about this one. But I breastfed DS while on Mirena. I got it inserted 8 weeks PP. I plan on getting it again after this baby is born.

Quoting mama-smurf:

What about breastfeeding? Does it interfere?

Quoting momdays:

melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:39 PM
Neither should effect bf.
I personally hated the mirena but most like it
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Some people are super sensitive to hormones and experience supply issues with the mirena even though it isn't supposed to affect supply. If I was going to choose between the two, I would choose the non-hormonal paragard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tnovak
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I have the paraguard, no problems with anything or with anything to do with nursing.  

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Paragard ALL THE WAY.  Mirena has hormones...it is a risk though they say its safe.  They are being sued for all the side effects. Mirena caused a blood clot that eventually killed my best friend.  I cant say how horrible the thing s.  I have had 2 paragard and loved them

shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I had Mirena and HATED it. Spotted heavy for over a month, migraine after migraine, acne worse than when I was in high school, mood swings, weight gain and more. Had it switched for Paragard and everything went away. I had it removed because of the heavy periods were too much for me and DH and I wanted to start trying for another baby. We got pregnant right away. Now I go back in Feb for another Paragard. My dr won't put it in before 12 weeks pp so there isn't any issues with placement.
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:30 PM
I don't want heavy periods...ugh...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN