Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Random question...

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:43 PM
  • 4 Replies

are you supposed to increase your caloric intake during breast feeding. I'm losing weight like crazy (yay) but I feel like I'm always starving.

I'm not on a diet but I've gone back to eating as many calories a days as I was before my pregnancy. I've lost 34 lb already...but like I said, i feel hungry all the time.

Am I supposed to still be consuming X amount more calories a day while EBF?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Juliet8826
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Oh man I was the same way early on especially! I used to joke about how I was just this bottomless pit, or garbage disposal or something. If you feel like you have the weight to lose then it is no big deal. Just eat to your hunger and drink to your thirst and revel in the extra weight loss. Your body is built to do it this way. That is why we put on extra weight while we are pregnant, so we will have reserves to burn when we're breastfeeding. If you don't want to be losing weight then that is a different issue, but it sounds like you're happy about it so just embrace it! I got back down to my  high school weight just like 7 months after my daughter was born and it was so awesome...been gaining it back a little now but trying to reign myself in. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Yes! You're hungry because your body is burning more calories making milk. Eat to your hunger or you can become malnourished because the milk takes from you to give the baby everything that is needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Yep eat to hunger and drink to thirst. Just make sure your reaching for healthy foods to total a well balanced diet.  

Quoting aehanrahan:

Yes! You're hungry because your body is burning more calories making milk. Eat to your hunger or you can become malnourished because the milk takes from you to give the baby everything that is needed.

jakesmom323
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:32 PM
I lost 30 eating whatever I wanted in the beginning. THEN it stopped....that last 15 is awful getting off!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN