Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Fever!!

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:02 PM
  • 13 Replies

So, I came in from working out and I noticed the my LO was feeling a little warm. I took his jumper off and decided to take his temp. Boy, am i glad I did. I checked it twice just to make sure the thermoter was working correctly and both times it said 102.2. I am trying to decide if I should take him to the ER or wait and see if it goes down. I gave him some baby tylenol and now he is sleeping. A few of my friends on facebook have given me different advice so I'm conflicted.

His only symptoms right now are crankiness, which could also be from the teething, and a 102.2 fever. He is a little over seven months old and has had his flu vaccine. He got that on the 17th of this month.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I personally wouldn't go to the er but we don't medicate for fevers unless the child is uncomfortable or in pain. They are there for a reason & we allow them to do their jobs. I might take him to the dr tomorrow to see if he has an ear infection or something but not the er. I also believe that the flu shot makes  him more suseptible to other sicknesses(lowers the immune system) so he could just have a cold. OR it could be his teeth.(one of mine got 102 fevers with teeth & we only medicated if she showed signs of pain)

BabyFruit Ticker

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Getting the flu vaccine is not a guarantee that he won't get sick.
He may be getting sick, but may or may not be the flu. If the temp goes down with meds, you don't need to take him in.
How was the temp taken? Rectal, armpit, forehead?
JTnJT
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:14 PM

The fever may be from the teething....I'd just keep him stripped to his diaper....keep him hydrated....and keep an eye on the fever...if it goes up instead of coming down...then I'd go to the ER.

JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:15 PM

At first, i took him on the forehead. When that read 100.5, I decided to take it rectally and then it was 102.2

Quoting Junebaby18:

Getting the flu vaccine is not a guarantee that he won't get sick.
He may be getting sick, but may or may not be the flu. If the temp goes down with meds, you don't need to take him in.
How was the temp taken? Rectal, armpit, forehead?

CafeMom Tickers
Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:15 PM
I wouldn't go in unless it gets up closer to 104. If it gets that high, give baby a cool bath and head to the ER. Having a fever while teething happens and it should pretty much get better on its own. So far, you're doing good. Try not to panic.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ckroch
by Colleen on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Keep an eye on temp. Nothing you can do for viral illness (including flu) except treat symptoms.
As long as eat/drinking/wetting and fever is controlled- stay home and avoid worse germs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:41 PM
I agree. I don't medicate for a fever unless there is major discomfort preventing him to relax and rest. A fever is the body's defense Shaina illness and medicating prolongs the process.
Since there are no other symptoms, I suspect teething. Keep an eye on it and nurse frequently.

Quoting mamabens:

I personally wouldn't go to the er but we don't medicate for fevers unless the child is uncomfortable or in pain. They are there for a reason & we allow them to do their jobs. I might take him to the dr tomorrow to see if he has an ear infection or something but not the er. I also believe that the flu shot makes  him more suseptible to other sicknesses(lowers the immune system) so he could just have a cold. OR it could be his teeth.(one of mine got 102 fevers with teeth & we only medicated if she showed signs of pain)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Well, he's awake now and seems to be doing a lot better. He doesn't feel nearly as hot so I suspect his fever has gone down. I will check it again probably when I give him a bath. Thank you all ladies!

melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:11 PM
3 moms liked this

We don't take temperatures here. We don't treat for fevers unless they are affecting their ability to drink well enough. And don't go to the ER for them either.

Fevers are normal and healthy. The body is using the fever to fight infection. Continue nursing and watch all the other symptoms those are the actual important things.

Diaper count, level of alertness, frequency of feedings, degree of discomfort tell you alot more about a potential sickness.

JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Well, his temperature went back up again. 102 again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)