Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

A lot of spitting up UPDATE!

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:17 PM
  • 57 Replies
My son is a super cranky screaming baby. He is 11 days old. He has started spitting up a lot. At least 8 times so far today. Sometimes it is curdled and sometimes not. He will pull off the breast just to spit up. It's not only while nursing that he spits up though. It doesn't seem to bug him much except he wants to eat even more and then he spits again. Any ideas on why and anything I can do about it?

update: he was weighed again today and it was exactly the same as last Wednesday. He has actually been spitting up less but still cries a lot and nurses a lot. He does fall asleep eating a lot though so I don't know if he is getting the hind milk. I won't be supplementing yet but he will be weighed again next week and then we will see. I am bummed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Spitting up can be a normal part of being a baby. Their digestive system and valves are immature.

Does any of THIS sound familiar?

xredstarsx
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:41 PM
A few of those are true but over supply is not a problem. And there is no spraying if I take him off. No milk comes out at all if there isn't suction.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Spitting up can be a normal part of being a baby. Their digestive system and valves are immature.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Try nursing in a reclined position. Side laying in bed works too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xredstarsx
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:56 PM
He freaks out and won't nurse like that because he can't breathe. My boobs are just too big.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Try nursing in a reclined position. Side laying in bed works too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sissy852
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:00 PM
I have the same problem. My john spits up all the time sometimes before he even unlatches from me. Out his nose and mouth
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
outstandingLove
by Cheri on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Quoting xredstarsx:

A few of those are true but over supply is not a problem. And there is no spraying if I take him off. No milk comes out at all if there isn't suction.

Quoting melindabelcher:

i have oversupply and dont spray when shes not latvhed.

melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:02 PM

He wont nurse if your sitting reclined back? He'd be on top of you and better able to handle the flow and amount.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Exactly.

Quoting melindabelcher:

He wont nurse if your sitting reclined back? He'd be on top of you and better able to handle the flow and amount.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xredstarsx
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:10 PM
I would just think oversupply would make no sense when I've had to fight to get him to have enough diapers and now to gain enough weight. Also I have had no engorgment or leaking at all.

Quoting outstandingLove:

Quoting xredstarsx:

Quoting melindabelcher:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:10 PM
I did with my oldest as well. I didn't know anything about OAL/OS 11 years shoo and just dealt with the spitting up and gassiness. :-(
I could have just changed positions and block fed and it would have relieved things for him.

Quoting outstandingLove:

Quoting xredstarsx:

Quoting melindabelcher:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)