Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Desperate. Production almost gone. Mothers milk tea?

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter is almost 2 months old, and so far we had been doing great. I was pumping almost 4-5 ounces every pumping, and always had enough to feed her, then pump and store. Always. Then hubby and I slipped up in the bedroom and I ran out to get Plan B. Big no no, i know. I regret it now, but id regret pregnancy even more. Now im struggling to get even 1-2 ounces each pumping. Im having to supplement formula, which i hate. And honestly shes not taking it to well. I cant just sit down with her for hours and nurse her... she gets frusterated...i get tired, and who has time to sit down all day and nurse? I dont. And thats what it came to, where i would try my best to sit down and just nurse her knowing theres always something coming out, until she got her fill.. but obviously she never was... and i had to break out the bottles :( Ive tried fenugreek, nothing noticible. Ive tried making sure I am pumping then nursing every two hours. nothing. I need a mirical lol. I dont want to give this up, and with me returning to work/college soon... i need my production up so i can pump!! Thanks guys.

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:14 AM
Replies (11-20):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:36 AM
http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/bottle-feeding/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes it's possible. My DS2 seems to have nursed almost non stop from birth. He's 10 weeks now. I went back to work 2 weeks ago and he pretty much snubs the bottles so its even worse now. I walk in the front door, put on my wrap and attach him. Then I make dinner for my other 2, give them baths and get them ready for bed. Once they are in bed I get to take off the wrap and lay down with him. Then he nurses, I would guess, about 90% of the night. I'm not sure in that because I fall asleep.

So you have flat nipples and they handed you a breast shield to help? What you should have been given were breast shells to wear in between nursing sessions. They draw the nipple out. A shield is meant for damaged nipples.

Quoting ttcwlee_18:

A growth spurt that lasts for weeks? I cant nurse her on the go... its not possible with my conditions right now, which i wont get into. But it just wouldnt be possible. Id love that but i cant. And i use a nipple shield anyways... i have hardly no nipple for her to latch onto... so ive been using those since about week one. So bottle and that is about the same ive found, since the milk gets stored up in the nipple shield as shes eating. Thank you for your tips. Ive been doing the pumping religiously.

Quoting shortyali:

Get a wrap or sling and nurse her on the go. The best way to up pump output is to nurse more and stop the bottles when your together.

How big are the bottles your giving? She could be getting frustrated at the breast for a number of reasons. Slower flow than the bottle? Maybe her stomach is stretched out? Or maybe she's having a growth spurt (which is pretty much a constant thing for the first 3 months), so her fussiness is actually trying to up your supply.

Fenugreek and mothers milk tea will only work if the milk is being removed often enough. If your going to exclusive pump then you need to be pumping every 2 hours no matter what. No skipping sessions. You can maybe get away with every 3 hours at night.

Normal pump output is .5-2ozs BOTH breasts combined so you are on the high end of normal even now with your supply dip.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:21 AM
Sounds more like a flow preference and supply adjusting. Your out put is normal. My baby would nurse all day and I don't have supply issue. She just likes to comfort suck. If I get tired of nursing I keep her busy and distract her for a while. The plan b shouldn't affect supply, it doesn't contain estrogen.
melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:40 AM
2 moms liked this
Nipple sheilds are for damaged nipples.
Nipple shells are for flat/inverted nipples.

Pumping output is normal. Are you pumping every 2hrs during the day and every 3hrs at night? Total 24hr intake should be 24-32oz.

If your pumping normal amounts baby gets more then your pump baby should be getting plenty. Set out 6 diapers. Set aside your pump/bottles/formula.
Nurse baby on demand and see how many diapers you use in 24hrs.
Travelbugg
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Ok so everything these ladies say is right... BUT I also pump, and have a much higher than "average" output, and when supply suddenly drops, ---which it has done 3 different times now, and always increased again--- it's scary. Bc you think you won't be able to give baby the good stuff. So here is my advice. Take a deep breath and relax. Stressing out makes output worse. Do you have a pumping bra? If not, get one. Make sure you use the bra, drink plenty of water, and look at picture/videos of the baby while you pump IN A DARK ROOM. (So you can't see what's coming out till you r done.) once you get one good output again you will relax...and everything should be back where it was. Also, treat yourself to some lactation cookies.. Make sure the pump is clean, w no milk residue breaking suction,. And if it helps mentally, get some new shield or valves for the pump. That's what worked for me. Good luck!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I would do a nursing vacation. Spend 48 hours in bednursing nursing nursing. Take 12 fenugreek a day and loads of water. Count diapers. Give no bottles and count diaper. Six a day is what is needed
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:57 AM

My son's first growth spurt lasted FIVE weeks. He's about six feet tall now. **grin**

Yes, this behavior can last for weeks. 

Quoting ttcwlee_18:

A growth spurt that lasts for weeks? 

ttcwlee_18
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Why i said i cant nurse around the clock i wont get into. Im not in my own home, and who i am with has asked me to stay covered. With a nursing cover, and sarah hates it. Also i cant afford a 50 dollar nursing sling right now. Again why i didnt want to get into it, if my living conditions where better (and again dont want to get too much into my personal life and why they are like this right now) i would be able to nurse her around clock. but i cant.

Quoting shortyali:

Yes it's possible. My DS2 seems to have nursed almost non stop from birth. He's 10 weeks now. I went back to work 2 weeks ago and he pretty much snubs the bottles so its even worse now. I walk in the front door, put on my wrap and attach him. Then I make dinner for my other 2, give them baths and get them ready for bed. Once they are in bed I get to take off the wrap and lay down with him. Then he nurses, I would guess, about 90% of the night. I'm not sure in that because I fall asleep.

So you have flat nipples and they handed you a breast shield to help? What you should have been given were breast shells to wear in between nursing sessions. They draw the nipple out. A shield is meant for damaged nipples.

Quoting ttcwlee_18:

A growth spurt that lasts for weeks? I cant nurse her on the go... its not possible with my conditions right now, which i wont get into. But it just wouldnt be possible. Id love that but i cant. And i use a nipple shield anyways... i have hardly no nipple for her to latch onto... so ive been using those since about week one. So bottle and that is about the same ive found, since the milk gets stored up in the nipple shield as shes eating. Thank you for your tips. Ive been doing the pumping religiously.

Quoting shortyali:

Get a wrap or sling and nurse her on the go. The best way to up pump output is to nurse more and stop the bottles when your together.

How big are the bottles your giving? She could be getting frustrated at the breast for a number of reasons. Slower flow than the bottle? Maybe her stomach is stretched out? Or maybe she's having a growth spurt (which is pretty much a constant thing for the first 3 months), so her fussiness is actually trying to up your supply.

Fenugreek and mothers milk tea will only work if the milk is being removed often enough. If your going to exclusive pump then you need to be pumping every 2 hours no matter what. No skipping sessions. You can maybe get away with every 3 hours at night.

Normal pump output is .5-2ozs BOTH breasts combined so you are on the high end of normal even now with your supply dip.

Caitlyn137
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Whats a nipple shield ?
ttcwlee_18
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:33 AM

LOL is this really cool invention that makes breastfeeding warrior like! It protects us! (: (:

I had to make a joke sorry

Its this rubber/plastic type flexible peice that looks just like a small portion of the boob with a nipple on it. You place it over your boob, and it helps the baby to latch on for people who have latching problems. Hers a picture of it (it)

Quoting Caitlyn137:

Whats a nipple shield ?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)