Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Desperate. Production almost gone. Mothers milk tea?

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter is almost 2 months old, and so far we had been doing great. I was pumping almost 4-5 ounces every pumping, and always had enough to feed her, then pump and store. Always. Then hubby and I slipped up in the bedroom and I ran out to get Plan B. Big no no, i know. I regret it now, but id regret pregnancy even more. Now im struggling to get even 1-2 ounces each pumping. Im having to supplement formula, which i hate. And honestly shes not taking it to well. I cant just sit down with her for hours and nurse her... she gets frusterated...i get tired, and who has time to sit down all day and nurse? I dont. And thats what it came to, where i would try my best to sit down and just nurse her knowing theres always something coming out, until she got her fill.. but obviously she never was... and i had to break out the bottles :( Ive tried fenugreek, nothing noticible. Ive tried making sure I am pumping then nursing every two hours. nothing. I need a mirical lol. I dont want to give this up, and with me returning to work/college soon... i need my production up so i can pump!! Thanks guys.

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:14 AM
Replies (21-30):
Emadele
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this
It is a silicone nipple covering. It is supposed to be used if your nipples are damaged (bleeding, blistered, etc) until the nipple is healed. They are hard to wean off of though. Babies develop a preference for the feel of them. They can also effect supply. My right side produced twice as much as my left partially due to the sheild with ds1 and I weaned off of it at around 6-8 wks. My left is still an underproducer with ds2.

Quoting Caitlyn137:

Whats a nipple shield ?

Married to Russell (7/27/09), Momma to Haydn (5/27/10) and Donavyn (8/1/12).
Caitlyn137
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Thx emadele !
My rite breast produces more milk than the left . I flipped out at first but now im like whatever , nature knows
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I get it. If you have an extra sheet you can YouTube on making a homemade sling an do that. Most of the time the tail is long enough you can use that as a cover.
I'm not trying to be pushy (if that's how I'm coming off), I'm just trying to throw out some suggestions.

Quoting ttcwlee_18:

Why i said i cant nurse around the clock i wont get into. Im not in my own home, and who i am with has asked me to stay covered. With a nursing cover, and sarah hates it. Also i cant afford a 50 dollar nursing sling right now. Again why i didnt want to get into it, if my living conditions where better (and again dont want to get too much into my personal life and why they are like this right now) i would be able to nurse her around clock. but i cant.

Quoting shortyali:

Yes it's possible. My DS2 seems to have nursed almost non stop from birth. He's 10 weeks now. I went back to work 2 weeks ago and he pretty much snubs the bottles so its even worse now. I walk in the front door, put on my wrap and attach him. Then I make dinner for my other 2, give them baths and get them ready for bed. Once they are in bed I get to take off the wrap and lay down with him. Then he nurses, I would guess, about 90% of the night. I'm not sure in that because I fall asleep.

So you have flat nipples and they handed you a breast shield to help? What you should have been given were breast shells to wear in between nursing sessions. They draw the nipple out. A shield is meant for damaged nipples.

Quoting ttcwlee_18:

A growth spurt that lasts for weeks? I cant nurse her on the go... its not possible with my conditions right now, which i wont get into. But it just wouldnt be possible. Id love that but i cant. And i use a nipple shield anyways... i have hardly no nipple for her to latch onto... so ive been using those since about week one. So bottle and that is about the same ive found, since the milk gets stored up in the nipple shield as shes eating. Thank you for your tips. Ive been doing the pumping religiously.

Quoting shortyali:

Get a wrap or sling and nurse her on the go. The best way to up pump output is to nurse more and stop the bottles when your together.

How big are the bottles your giving? She could be getting frustrated at the breast for a number of reasons. Slower flow than the bottle? Maybe her stomach is stretched out? Or maybe she's having a growth spurt (which is pretty much a constant thing for the first 3 months), so her fussiness is actually trying to up your supply.

Fenugreek and mothers milk tea will only work if the milk is being removed often enough. If your going to exclusive pump then you need to be pumping every 2 hours no matter what. No skipping sessions. You can maybe get away with every 3 hours at night.

Normal pump output is .5-2ozs BOTH breasts combined so you are on the high end of normal even now with your supply dip.

Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:17 AM
2 moms liked this
I used a nipple shield for 9 weeks because some "helpful" LC gave me one when I was engorged. You CAN wean off of the shield, but it will take a day or two of CONSTANT nursing.

As for the person asking you to cover, why can't you stay in your bedroom with the door shut? Problem solved. I wouldn't want to be around such a disrespectful person anyways. It sucks to live with someone else, but do what you can to maintain your independence. :)
ttcwlee_18
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM

well probably because my 17 year old little brother doesnt want to see my boobs. and i dont want to stay in one room all day. which is what it would take.

Quoting Amberleigh81:

I used a nipple shield for 9 weeks because some "helpful" LC gave me one when I was engorged. You CAN wean off of the shield, but it will take a day or two of CONSTANT nursing.

As for the person asking you to cover, why can't you stay in your bedroom with the door shut? Problem solved. I wouldn't want to be around such a disrespectful person anyways. It sucks to live with someone else, but do what you can to maintain your independence. :)

Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh, it's your little brother??? Tell that punk he can go to HIS room if it bothers him. I thought it was someone you depended on for charity, like your parents or your ILs and they were housing you.

I have a little brother. He was uncomfortable with me nursing (and he's 28). I told him he could leave if it bothers him. He did leave a few times, then realized he was stupid. He is now fine with it. :)

Quoting ttcwlee_18:

well probably because my 17 year old little brother doesnt want to see my boobs. and i dont want to stay in one room all day. which is what it would take.

Quoting Amberleigh81:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I'm with Amberleigh on how to handle the little brother. After all, little brothers only exist to be pushed around byt their big sisters. **grin**  In all seriousness, my brother was in his 30s and was uncomfortable the first time, but after that he got over it and never had an issue again.

Life is all about moving out of comfort zones every single day.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Slings aren't $50!   They can be.. but you can just as easily go buy 5 yards of discount jersey from walmart.   :)

Honestly, You just need to nurse as much as possible... that's the ONLY thing that will work.   I don't think you actually have a supply issue, I think your babe probably has a flow preference.  

They all go through a fussy/frustrated phase around 3-4 months anyway, when supply regulates.  They have to get used to the reduced flow and it takes a few weeks.  

Giving her bottles when she gets frustrated is just elongating and exacerbating your problem.   I don't know your living situation... but if you're going to get kicked out if you don't use a cover, then use it... and when she pulls it off, shrug.   There's nothing you can do, the person you're living with is being unreasonable.  

Have you tried the two shirt method?   Just covering your breast with a light blanket?   

Quoting ttcwlee_18:

Why i said i cant nurse around the clock i wont get into. Im not in my own home, and who i am with has asked me to stay covered. With a nursing cover, and sarah hates it. Also i cant afford a 50 dollar nursing sling right now. Again why i didnt want to get into it, if my living conditions where better (and again dont want to get too much into my personal life and why they are like this right now) i would be able to nurse her around clock. but i cant.

Quoting shortyali:

Yes it's possible. My DS2 seems to have nursed almost non stop from birth. He's 10 weeks now. I went back to work 2 weeks ago and he pretty much snubs the bottles so its even worse now. I walk in the front door, put on my wrap and attach him. Then I make dinner for my other 2, give them baths and get them ready for bed. Once they are in bed I get to take off the wrap and lay down with him. Then he nurses, I would guess, about 90% of the night. I'm not sure in that because I fall asleep.

So you have flat nipples and they handed you a breast shield to help? What you should have been given were breast shells to wear in between nursing sessions. They draw the nipple out. A shield is meant for damaged nipples.

Quoting ttcwlee_18:

A growth spurt that lasts for weeks? I cant nurse her on the go... its not possible with my conditions right now, which i wont get into. But it just wouldnt be possible. Id love that but i cant. And i use a nipple shield anyways... i have hardly no nipple for her to latch onto... so ive been using those since about week one. So bottle and that is about the same ive found, since the milk gets stored up in the nipple shield as shes eating. Thank you for your tips. Ive been doing the pumping religiously.

Quoting shortyali:

Get a wrap or sling and nurse her on the go. The best way to up pump output is to nurse more and stop the bottles when your together.

How big are the bottles your giving? She could be getting frustrated at the breast for a number of reasons. Slower flow than the bottle? Maybe her stomach is stretched out? Or maybe she's having a growth spurt (which is pretty much a constant thing for the first 3 months), so her fussiness is actually trying to up your supply.

Fenugreek and mothers milk tea will only work if the milk is being removed often enough. If your going to exclusive pump then you need to be pumping every 2 hours no matter what. No skipping sessions. You can maybe get away with every 3 hours at night.

Normal pump output is .5-2ozs BOTH breasts combined so you are on the high end of normal even now with your supply dip.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Oh, haha!   A brother!!   I live with my brother too.. and I've now nursed 3 children with him around.   You know what he does?   He just doesn't look.   No big deal.

Quoting Amberleigh81:

Oh, it's your little brother??? Tell that punk he can go to HIS room if it bothers him. I thought it was someone you depended on for charity, like your parents or your ILs and they were housing you.

I have a little brother. He was uncomfortable with me nursing (and he's 28). I told him he could leave if it bothers him. He did leave a few times, then realized he was stupid. He is now fine with it. :)

Quoting ttcwlee_18:

Quoting Amberleigh81:

Jacylove
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:05 PM
That tea works!!!

- I use to only pump half an oz now I can make 2 oz. I love it I drink it everyday
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN