Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

8 weeks old and potentionally sleeping through the night...

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:13 AM
  • 7 Replies

So, I know I shouldn't complain about getting more sleep but my LO turns 8 weeks old tomorrow and seems determined to sleep all night. He'll finally fall asleep after nursing for an hour or two around 10-11 (way late, I know, we start his bedtime routine at 7:30, in hopes to have him in bed by 8 but he seriously marathon nurses at night, I also think it might be mostly for comfort however) but then he might wake up again an hour or two later but not want to nurse, just to cuddle in bed with us instead of his bassinet. The last 2 or 3 nights, he woke up around 3:30 (I think one night was around 2 and again 3:30 though), will nurse briefly (less than 5 mins, his normal nursing sessions can go anywhere between 10 mins to an hour) and then fall back asleep till sometime between 5:30-6, then he's awake for awhile, although this morning he was awake but didn't want to open his eyes and kinda snack nursed. I guess my point of all this, is it safe for him to be sleeping this much at night or should I be waking him up to nurse? He's still getting plenty of wet diapers, 6-8 during the day.  

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
aimhawk
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds normal to me. DS was sleeping from like 7pm to 9am at 4 months, with some nights waking up once to nurse. He probably wakes up more during the night now as an almost 1yo than he did any time when he was smaller.

butterflycircle
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it is normal and you probably don't need to worry about it. My kids were both sleeping through the night around or before 8 weeks old (only one was bf but other was formula and she was sleeping through the night around 6 weeks). As long as he is bf regularly during the day I wouldn't worry about it at all. 

Starshine-bela
by Leah on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Then I will consider myself lucky lol. His big brother who was ff didn't sleep through the night till he was 3 or 4 months
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like mine at that age. A month later and she was sleeping through the night. Two weeks of that and she's back to every 3 hours.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this
If you're changing enough diapers, he's fine. I wouldn't expect this pattern to last long, though. It is normal for sleeping patterns change frequently throughout the first year or two due to growth spurts, teething, new milestones, separation anxiety, and many other things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this

What they said^^ Don't expect it to keep up though since you've mentioned it  to others. lol

BabyFruit Ticker

Starshine-bela
by Leah on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol I'm not expecting to get that lucky but I sure will enjoy it while it lasts. Although I can sure do without the nightly nursing marathon lol

Quoting mamabens:

What they said^^ Don't expect it to keep up though since you've mentioned it  to others. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN