Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

HELP where can i get gluten free/dairy free/soy free formula?

Posted by   + Show Post

Rhythm lost more weight...

at this point I honestly do not care about breastfeeding anymore.

I am worried.

the doctors are screwing with my meds and medi-cal is giving me problems trying to find a doc, i just want him to be ok. i dont know where i can get formula that will even be ok for my LO. please help me :(

update:

wasnt able to find any formula i trusted he wouldnt react to, this is my plan for today:

im going to be pumping pretty much all day and imm going to putt a hot compress on my breasts to help my letdown.

whats going on now is the docs raised my thyroid when i was already hyper, told me i was hypo, causing problems, im not going to taake any more thyroid. period. until i talk to a competant doctor, its highly likely i didnt need it to begin with. since they tested my levels when i was pregnant..

____________________________________________________________________________________

Non-vaccinating, breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, anti-CIO,  crunchy momma of one happy little baby boy. :)

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Replies (31-40):
Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Just reread everything. The doctors increased your dose with a TSH of .01??

OMG. That's malpractice.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:54 AM
What was he before? Same scale?

Quoting LucyHourglass:

a LOT. he is 12 pound 7 oz fully clothed and diapered. 

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

How much did he lose

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom2ljh
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Yes and yes.

Quoting LucyHourglass:

is it gluten free? can i just find it at the normal store?

Quoting mom2ljh:

You're going to have to get Nutramigen or Alimentum. They're pricey but are extensively hydrolysis so a child with allergies doesn't react.

mom2ljh
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:14 AM
No, neocate cannot be purchased in store and is normally used only after Nutramigen and/or Alimentum have failed due to cost.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

I'm not entirely sure but if Amazon sells it I think grocery stores might also, though I'd call first and check.

Quoting LucyHourglass:

can i buy neocate at the store or is this something that can only be bought online?

Quoting mostlymaydays:

I see the Neocate on Amazon, $150 for four 14 oz cans.

Are you still waiting on the results from all of that extensive bloodwork? Has your new doctor hinted that this was the direction you were headed?

mom2ljh
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:16 AM
That sounds high. It should run you about $25 for a 16oz can of powder. Nutramigen is also available in a larger can (maybe 24oz?) for about $33. It is pricier than regular formulas but less than the amino acid based ones.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Just out of curiosity I looked it up online and found it at Walmart, $143 for four 19.8 oz cans of the powder.

Quoting LucyHourglass:

is it gluten free? can i just find it at the normal store?

Quoting mom2ljh:

You're going to have to get Nutramigen or Alimentum. They're pricey but are extensively hydrolysis so a child with allergies doesn't react.

eema.gray
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Homemade?  Nourishing Traditions (book) has some formula recipes that are based on meat for sensitive babies.

melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Iirc I think he was 12.10 when she began suspecting gluten the other day

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

What was he before? Same scale?

Quoting LucyHourglass:

a LOT. he is 12 pound 7 oz fully clothed and diapered. 

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

How much did he lose

mommaoftwo
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM

When my son was on alimentum we were spending $75/wk that works out to about three cans, but I can't remember what size can it was, that was four years ago.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

It's the powder. I've never mixed formula in my life but I'd think you use a couple cans a week?

Quoting stepconfused182:

Wow! That's outrageous. So really, you'd probably use what, 2 cans a day at least if you're strictly formula feeding?

Quoting mostlymaydays:

I see the Neocate on Amazon, $150 for four 14 oz cans.

Are you still waiting on the results from all of that extensive bloodwork? Has your new doctor hinted that this was the direction you were headed?

Mommy of FIVE!!!

Tara~12.16.03  Zachary~5.17.05  Rowan~1.17.09  Willow~8/10/11 Baby~ EDA 1/27/13

skylarkdancer
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Is he sensitive to goats milk? If not I have a recipe for a goat's milk formula that would help him gain weight.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM

50% of infants with a cow's milk sensitivity/allergy also have trouble with goat's and sheep's milk products.  My boys actually had far worse reactions to goat's milk exposure through my breastmilk than they did to cow's milk exposure.  Just something to keep in mind.

Quoting skylarkdancer:

Is he sensitive to goats milk? If not I have a recipe for a goat's milk formula that would help him gain weight.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)