Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Storing Breast Milk

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:44 AM
  • 12 Replies
I need info on storing breast milk. I use a milk saver on the opposite breast when I nurse. I want to freeze this milk and save it. I am also going to start pumping and want to save that milk. So, do I need separate containers for each time or can I combine? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
briebaby123
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Some times I combine it, others I don't. I know it can stay in the fridge for about a week, the freezer for a few months, and sitting out for 4-8 hours.

kjlmommy
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:01 AM

You can combine, but you have to use the oldest milk as the reference for when it goes bad.  So you'll want to be careful combining milk.  I really like the Lansinoh storage bags, they just work better than the other ones I've tried.  I wouldn't use bottles unless you aren't going to be storing a lot of milk... it takes a while to defrost, they take up too much room in the freezer, and are expensive.

melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Its best to freeze in 2-3oz increments as that is a normal bottle feeding amount. If you combine milk only combine milk from the same day and at the same temperature

shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:39 AM
You can combine from different days, just liable with the oldest date. So if you do mon and tues, liable with mons date. What I do is anything left in fridge on Friday gets combined and frozen. Monday is a frozen day and Mondays pumping and the weekend go for Tuesday and so on.
I store in 4oz increments because DS2 is only taking 2oz bottles and only 2 bottles a day while I'm at work. I use the lanoish bags because they freeze flat and take up less space.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Its best to freeze in 2-3oz increments as that is a normal bottle feeding amount. If you combine milk only combine milk from the same day and at the same temperature

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:36 PM
I store in 4oz bags. I use tommy tippie bags.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Yes, you can combine the milk. Wait until it is all the same temperature and label according to the first date.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gruntlings
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:41 PM

If you combine in the fridge you basically let both of the containers of milk come to the same temperature and then combine them together. Once you have the amount you want to freeze in a bag you pour it into the bag and freeze it. 

I freeze in either 2oz or 3oz bags. Prevents accidental over feeding.  

Mama_Of_Two2012
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:21 AM

I got this from my LC

BM is good for...

Room Temp- (66-78* F) 4-6 hours

Cooler with 3 frozen ice packs 59* 24 hours

Fridge 39* ir kiwer 3-8 days

Freezer 0-4* 6-12 months

Thawed 24 hours

hope that helps

Victoriaoh
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:01 AM
Thanks everyone for all the info. I appreciate it.it.
AngryBob
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:52 AM

i'm a cheap-o, and i use ziploc baggies. actually i lied, i use the off-brand. ziploc is always leaking, and it drives me nuts. i've never had a problem with the store brand. i use the kind that gets pressed closed, NOT the zipper that you move across the package. those leak if tipped over. when i need it defrosted, i use about five ounces, so if i don't pump that much in one sitting, i put the bottle in the fridge, and top it off later. i produce a lot, though, so that rarely happens. (although i have a bottle in the fridge now lol.) i freeze them by folding the top over one of the wires of the rack in the freezer, then pinning it in place with a clip. i think it's just a chip clip, but smaller. you can use clothespins, or anything you want. super quick and easy to defrost.

haven't had a single problem, started that almost three years ago.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)