Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
I need info on storing breast milk. I use a milk saver on the opposite breast when I nurse. I want to freeze this milk and save it. I am also going to start pumping and want to save that milk. So, do I need separate containers for each time or can I combine? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Replies (11-12):
shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:18 AM
1 mom liked this
What Type of Container to Use

The best options for storing human milk:

are glass or hard-sided plastic containers with well-fitting tops

containers not made with the controversial chemical bisphenol A (BPA)

are containers which have been washed in hot, soapy, water, rinsed well, and allowed to air-dry before use

containers should not be filled to the top - leave an inch of space to allow the milk to expand as it freezes

freezer milk bags that are designed for storing human milk

put only 60 to 120 ml (two to four ounces) of milk in the container (the amount your baby is likely to eat in a single feeding) to avoid waste

Disposable bottle liners or plastic bags are not recommended. With these, the risk of contamination is greater. Bags are less durable and tend to leak, and some types of plastic may destroy nutrients in milk.

Mark the date on the storage container. Include your baby's name on the label if your baby is in a day care setting.

This is from LLL website: http://www.llli.org/faq/milkstorage.html

Basically do not use ziplock bags or cheapie bags because they can destroy the nutrients in the milk. I personally buy the lanoish bags when they go on sale. The last time I bought bags it was at Target and they were (I think, it was about 2 years ago. When I had DD) $6 for a box of 50. I bought 4 boxes. I have 2 left over from then that I'm using now for DS2.

Quoting AngryBob:

i'm a cheap-o, and i use ziploc baggies. actually i lied, i use the off-brand. ziploc is always leaking, and it drives me nuts. i've never had a problem with the store brand. i use the kind that gets pressed closed, NOT the zipper that you move across the package. those leak if tipped over. when i need it defrosted, i use about five ounces, so if i don't pump that much in one sitting, i put the bottle in the fridge, and top it off later. i produce a lot, though, so that rarely happens. (although i have a bottle in the fridge now lol.) i freeze them by folding the top over one of the wires of the rack in the freezer, then pinning it in place with a clip. i think it's just a chip clip, but smaller. you can use clothespins, or anything you want. super quick and easy to defrost.

haven't had a single problem, started that almost three years ago.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaScho88
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:45 AM

I always combined milk I pumped from the same day, but not from different days, and I would write the date and amount on the bags and froze them if I wasn't going to use them right away.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)