Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First Child and breastfeeding

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:25 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hi, I am 21 years old and 22 weeks pregnant. I am pretty sure I want to breastfeed my baby, but am clueless about it. I dont kow the first thing.  i dont really want to breastfeed, I want t pump ad bottle feed. I know  breastfeedinsg is natural, I cant see myself breastfeeding out i pumplic. Is this a horrible idea?  If  anyone could offer any tips, suggestions, books or websites that would be great. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:41 PM
I exclusively pumped for a period of time for both of my boys and i have to tell you it sucked! I'm also a young mom (23 last month) and bfing is much easier. When i'm out i either find a quiet lounge, bench in a secluded area or just go to my car. Imo nursing in public is much easier than trying to deal with a cooler (to keep the milk good all day), an ice pack, bottles, pump parts (because you need to pump every 2-3 hours including when you're out & at night), and finding a clean sink that has warm water to warm the milk is a pain! There are also a lot of benefits of breastfeeding vs. EPing. Breastmilk composition (vitamins, fat, etc.) changes to fit the baby's needs at the breast. The baby's saliva actually communicates with your breast to determine what is needed. This even goes for antibodies. If baby has contracted a virus it can communicate with your milk and you'll make antibidies for your baby! Some things to think about!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:53 PM

This post has great information on exclusive pumping: http://www.cafemom.com/group/325/forums/read/15530991/exclusive_pumping

Keep in mind that for most women it is an every 2 hrs during the day and every 3 hrs during the night commitment for the entire first year, even after baby begins sleeping longer stretches.  I EP'd for a while with my first and I just couldn't hack it.  I have major respect for women who can, but between pumping, attempting to nurse, feeding a bottle, washing parts, and then starting over again I was literally spending 20 hrs per day on milk stuff.  At about 6.5 weeks, I started weaning from the pump and supplementing after feedings with formula until my milk was eventually gone (my DS was unable to transfer milk effectively for a whole host of reasons, even with my oversupply).  With my second, I determined that we were going to nurse.  We had a really rough start because of suck issues, but eventually got the hang of it and he's still nursing at 34 months old.  Direct breastfeeding is hard for the first 4-6 weeks but then it gets EASY, so easy.

jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I pumped for two months with DS due to latching issues and it was awful!! After two months of pumping I tried BFing again and we successfully BF for a year!!

It may seem unnatural now, but it really isn't. You just have to get used to doing it right. Make sure you read up on BF vs. pumping. Pumping is a good alternative to BFing, but it really is no fun and makes you want to give up.

Good luck.
aydensXmommy
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:02 PM
2 moms liked this
Honey, breastfeeding in public is the farthest of your worries! Lugging around the cooler, ice packs, bottles, frozen breast milk, and pump will definitely get old really fast. My BIL is so freaked out when I nurse in public, especially when I use a stupid cover. By wearing two shirts, even he can't tell when I'm nursing her, he just thinks I'm walking around with a sleeping baby. :)

Like a PP said, the first month and a half are hard, but after that, you're golden! It's like something just clicks.
birdiemom
by Allison on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:06 PM
My DS will be one in just under a month, and I have been pumping just at work for almost 10 months. I hate every second of pumping even if it gives me a break at work. I am counting down the days until I no longer need to pump... Just my opinion on pumping...
Paradys
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Get the book "So That's What They're For" find a breastfeeding support group near you and RELAX....i'll all work oint.
Ask us any questions you have anytime you need.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:29 PM
Read and learn as much as you can. Start with the resources sticky at the top of this group. Bookmark kellymom.com. Come here and ask anything and everything that comes to mind.
Exclusively pumping is MUCH harder than just nursing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Denisethedaring
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh wow.  I would say that exclusively pumping and bottle-feeding is probably the hardest of all the feeding methods, much harder than either breastfeeding or formula-feeding.  I really wouldn't choose that as purely a choice not driven by medical types of reasons...if all you're worried about is public breastfeeding, just pump for that if you really think you can't manage it--you won't need much unless for some reason you're mostly out in public. :) 

mckelvey1225
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Thanks for all the posts ladies. It definantly opened my eyes.

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Pumping and bottle feeding is made to sound so easy by people who have never done it before but it is a full time, 24/7 job if you are doing it exclusively and that is if you can. I don't respond at all to the pump, never have. I'm lucky to get a few drops and that is actually very common. I also high recommend "So That's What They're For" as well! Great book! Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)