Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pumping question.

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:15 PM
  • 14 Replies
I'm needing to have surgery on Tuesday and have NO milk pumped. I pump the average 1-2oz when I do pump, but since I don't normally, my supply sorta goes down. I have OAL, but should I use fenugreek this weekend anyway? Normally I would never use it since one pill produces a lot of milk.

UPDATE: Fed her right before I went back around 10:15, she slept, and I was up by 11 and hubby came back at 11:30 and had just started prepping some milk. He was trying to give her a bottle while I was still waking a bit and she just kept giving us both the stink eye lol. The anesthesiologist said to just go ahead and nurse. It all stayed frozen so now we have a nice little stash. And here I was worried... Seesh
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I'd just pump once or twice a day from now until Tuesday.  You only need enough milk for 1-1.25 oz per hour that you'll be in surgery and recovery.  You can nurse as soon as you can safely hold baby.

LoveOfWisdom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:31 PM
I can usually only pump once or twice in a day, that's the weird thing.

Quoting K8wizzo:

I'd just pump once or twice a day from now until Tuesday.  You only need enough milk for 1-1.25 oz per hour that you'll be in surgery and recovery.  You can nurse as soon as you can safely hold baby.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

That's fine.  If you get up 45 minutes before your baby does or pump one side while baby's on the other you should have plenty.

Quoting LoveOfWisdom:

Quoting K8wizzo:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:43 PM
I agree with Kate!

Quoting K8wizzo:

That's fine.  If you get up 45 minutes before your baby does or pump one side while baby's on the other you should have plenty.

Quoting LoveOfWisdom:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveOfWisdom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:49 PM
K thanks! I don't know how long I'll be in. I'll get as much pumped as I can and my midwife/doula has also put out the word for donations. My ob said we'll keep baby with me pretty much as I go into the OR and then she'd like me to pump and dump just one time. Even if its pump as much as I can and then latch baby if needed.

Now to try and get this baby to take a bottle and used to daddy! Syringe will be a last resort.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

You don't need to pump and dump post-surgery, unless it includes some weird chemotherapy.

LoveOfWisdom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:26 PM
I know I don't have to, but I probably will anyway.

Quoting gdiamante:

You don't need to pump and dump post-surgery, unless it includes some weird chemotherapy.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Its a waste of milk because once out of surgery and awake its out of your system, your milk is made with your bloodstream and works the same way..out of your bloodstream out of your milk

Quoting LoveOfWisdom:

Quoting gdiamante:

LoveOfWisdom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Well I react differently to the meds, so I'll feel better doing it one time :)

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Its a waste of milk because once out of surgery and awake its out of your system, your milk is made with your bloodstream and works the same way..out of your bloodstream out of your milk

Quoting LoveOfWisdom:

Quoting gdiamante:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:10 PM

As soon as you can safely handle baby you can nurse. You rreaction to drugs will probably make you unsafe to handle baby... and often that also renders a mom unable to really manage a pump.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN