Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Poo Problem

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:32 PM
  • 15 Replies
I started my baby on cereal per our Dr's advise. She will be 7 mos old tomorrow. I got Gerber Organic Brown Rice cereal. I watered it down so it was thin and spoon fed her. She loves it. I gave it to her once a day for 3 days and then twice a day for 4 days. Yesterday I thickened it up like the Dr suggested. Today she had a very hard time having a bowel movement. I called our pediatrician who said to give her pear juice. Is that normal advice?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Starshine-bela
by Leah on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Yes, my friend was told the same for her baby.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:37 PM
3 moms liked this
Rice is constipating. Rice is recommended as part of the BRAT diet to relieve diarrhea. The very best thing you can do is ditch the rice cereal and nurse like crazy. Breastmilk has natural laxative effects. (I wouldn't pick the cereal back up, either. Iron-fortified cereals interfere with the body's ability to absorb the iron from breastmilk and that can cause anemia. The AAP now recommends forgoing the cereals and offering meats instead if you're looking for iron).
mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Probably but I wouldn't do it. Id just back off on the cereal.(well*I* woudnt start it  in the first place but...)

BabyFruit Ticker

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this
(Btw: BRAT= bananas, rice, applesauce, toast- for binding up loose stool)
JTE11
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Yes, it is, but rice cereal will continue to constipate yoru baby so you'll always be giving cereal, and juice to help her poo. i tried it once and she got so bound up and uncomfortable I never gave it to her again. I skipped the rice cereal and  went right into baby food. If I used any baby cereal (to thicken baby puree) after that I used oatmeal because it didn't bind her up. The rice is like glue!

thisisamazing
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Thank you...she is our first and only child. I'm still learning. I'm so confused. I was shocked when the pediatrician recommended cereal in the first place. I was planning exclusive breastfeeding for a year. I didn't give her any cereal today and I'm nursing tons to get my supply back as its already been slowing.
thisisamazing
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Thank you...she is our first and only child. I'm still learning. I'm so confused. I was shocked when the pediatrician recommended cereal in the first place. I was planning exclusive breastfeeding for a year. I didn't give her any cereal today and I'm nursing tons to get my supply back as its already been slowing.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:57 PM
It is ironic how often pediatricians seem to recommend those first foods, that cause constipation! I think doctors do the cereal push as routine habit. Current recommendation is to forgo the cereal all together. They used to say it prevented anemia, but now it appears the opposite is true. My dr is loaded with that antiquated advice, pushing the cereal from 4 months. :-( There are lots of doctors who still say that. But it goes against their AAP guidelines.

Quoting thisisamazing:

thisisamazing
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:05 PM
I need to find a pediatrician who is more supportive about breastfeeding. She told me she didn't nurse any of her 3 kids. I didn't realize she meant she thinks it's ridiculous. I can tell she wants me to stop. She said we could go fast and get her eating solids.
thisisamazing
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I called my LC and she recommended a book called the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. I'm heading to Barnes & Noble in the morning!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN