Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Help! I need to wean dd

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:43 AM
  • 23 Replies
I did not plan on finding work so soon so .. I was not ready for it.

I started working nights 2 weeks ago and thought I coule just bf her when I came back home. It sounded possible to me.

But I did not expect my left breast to become the size of my head and soooo hard it hurt.

What should I do? Dd is 19 months and eating well
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
silka08
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:58 AM
if she normally nurses during the period youre gone youd need to pump and then drop one pumping/feeding every 3-7 days or so
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Any way you can grab just a simple hand pump or hands express in the bathroom at work just to take the edge off so you could continue working and nursing.
Weaning would entail dropping one feeding a week until all are gone. So it wouldn't be a quick fix
catherine_b
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Pumping is not an option. No breaks I am a bartender

Quoting silka08:

if she normally nurses during the period youre gone youd need to pump and then drop one pumping/feeding every 3-7 days or so

catherine_b
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Would it result in leaking? Otherwise I could hand express I have before

Quoting melindabelcher:

Any way you can grab just a simple hand pump or hands express in the bathroom at work just to take the edge off so you could continue working and nursing.

Weaning would entail dropping one feeding a week until all are gone. So it wouldn't be a quick fix

silka08
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Unfortyunately youll be at risk fir mastitis as milk doesnt just dry overnight. Certain herbs like sage or using cabbage in bra can help witg drying but weaning cold turkey can be bad for health.

Quoting catherine_b:

Quoting silka08:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:03 AM
2 moms liked this
You definitely don't need to wean her but you need to wean your body off of those feedings while you're gone. I agree with the previous post of pumping at work then gradually dropping one session a week til you are only nursing at home. Just nursing at home shouldn't affect you.

Dd is 13 mo and I'm slowly weaning from the pump. Mondays I stopped pumping. Next month ill drop Fridays (no specific reason just harder to take my Friday break due to meetings). This won't affect your daughter. Your supply is regulated pretty well. Weaning all together too fast will cause pain, blocked ducts and mastitis.
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Yes. I have forgotten my pump and hand expressed at work. You don't need to worry about saving anything just getting the edge off.

Quoting catherine_b:

Quoting melindabelcher:

mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:07 AM

So you work an entire 8 hr shift with NO breaks at all?? That's not legal. (bfing or not)  hand express enough for comfort & eventually your body will get the message that she's not nursing at that time. You can still nurse while you're together though, no need to wean unless you just want to.(if so drop one feeding per week until all are gone)

Quoting catherine_b:

Quoting silka08:

BabyFruit Ticker

catherine_b
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:11 AM
I mean, I can run to the bathroom for a minute, but the bar is still full so I need to get back as fast as possible.

As for feedings, she was never on a schedule, always nursing on demand. Which do you suggest I should cut first then?

Quoting mamabens:

So you work an entire 8 hr shift with NO breaks at all?? That's not legal. (bfing or not)  hand express enough for comfort & eventually your body will get the message that she's not nursing at that time. You can still nurse while you're together though, no need to wean unless you just want to.(if so drop one feeding per week until all are gone)

Quoting catherine_b:

Quoting silka08:

melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:13 AM
2 moms liked this
it would just help take the edge off and it'll help supply cut back a little during that time. It would save you from the engorgment and risking mastitis while maintaining your bf relationship

Quoting catherine_b:

Quoting melindabelcher:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)